+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Recurring tonsillitis is short period of time

Am after anyone's experiences with recurring tonsillitis in a short period of time. My 6 yo has had tonsillitis 4 times this year already. We have taken him to an ENT who has said she is happy to take them out, but for some reason I am reluctant to make this decision. He is always the kid who will get sick if anything is going around and also has viral asthma. My DH had his tonsils taken out at a young age and seems to think it is going to fix all DS's problems, but I am just not sure. Do we not have tonsils for a reason?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    4 times in a matter of a few months? I'd get them taken out. I remember having tonsillitis as a child and by gosh it was painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure how helpful my response will be but four times in a year is quite a lot, particularly if he needs antibiotics each time. The only other advice I have is that it is much better to have them out as a child as opposed to being in adulthood.
    Hopefully someone else can help you more with the function side of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that it is too much in a year, I should have clarified the ENT thought that at least two of them could have been one episode he didn't recover from fully. I had tonsillitis as a child also and grew out of it. Also he had his adenoids out at around 3.5 and it was only after this he developed the asthma. I don't know if it's possible for that to be related..My problem is I don't know why I don't want it done..just my gut feeling telling me not to..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id get them taken out. Tonsillitis is horrible & painful.
    Getting them taken out now will ensure he doesnt have to endure tonsillitis again.

Both my girls had constant ear infections till they got grommets and neither has had an infection since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 3 of my 4 daughters who have had their tonsils removed between the ages of 12months and 4 years. DD4 basically had permanent tonsillitis since birth and after the 6th lot of antibiotics nothing worked to stop it from happening. Now that she had them out last march she's never had tonsillitis since. DD2 gets a sore throat with a croup cough every now and then but it's gone in a day and DD3 has only just had hers out 2 months ago with no problems at all.
    For our case it was the best thing we've done. There are other alternatives if your hesitant like probiotics, sometimes dairy can affect things, and the one my GP told me about but I didn't try was making your own hydralite drink to keep the throat moist. Ingredients included salt and juice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep get them out! I had tonsillitis 9 times in one year when I was 23. I ended up getting them taken out and my god it was painful. Worse than labour!

My ENT said to me that I was getting it repeatedly because my tonsils were so inflamed from the first 2-3 bouts that they never reduced in size so therefore when I ate food would get trapped in them and then the bacteria would grow as a result. It was the BEST thing I ever did I have been sick once in 3 years (touch wood) since getting them out. Whereas before I was constantly run down. Became anaphylactic and allergic to many antibiotics as a result of overuse.

I know it's a bit different as I was an adult and of course the decision is entirely yours and I hope you make one that sits well with you OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just found out today he has had glandular fever in the past. Had a blood test for something else about 6 months ago, but the dr never bothered to tell me that..so annoyed..it was only because we specifically asked today after the ENT mentioning it..
    Thanks to everyone for replying..is so hard trying to make these decisions for your kids..my DS is totally against it no matter how you try and explain it to him so that doesn't help..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if the ENT said anything but glandular fever and tonsillitis can be related. My brother had glandular then followed by chronic fatigues and tonsillitis as a teen. He had his tonsils out at 21 and never had a problem since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah the ENT did mention it could be a reason for the tonsillitis. I know it's beside the point now. Just would have liked to have known he had had it at some stage..