+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity Hospitals in Melbourne and public or private better?

Hello all - I'm 5 weeks pregnant and deciding on hospital and obstetrician...i have Bupa private health insurance and also can avail Medicare benefits...still confused about going public or private ???If I decide on public it'll be the Royal women's in Melbourne and for private health I need suggestion for the following: Frances Perry house and Epworth Freemasons. Please help me decide on the hospitals with hospital reviews/experiences and also if going public or private is better. My first pregnancy :-).. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

Get a private midwife and stay home. Safer for you and for baby.

Rhea Dhemsey has a great book that you might find useful in choosing birth support.
    Birth With Confidence: Savvy choices for normal birth

Australia’s birth intervention rates are well above those recommended by the World Health Organisation and climbing. In Birth with Confidence, one of Australia’s foremost thinkers on the subject of childbirth explains why normal birth is almost impossible in our current birth culture—and what women can do to beat the odds.
    In this accessible, straightforward book, Rhea Dempsey draws on over thirty years’ experience to show how a woman’s choice of caregivers, support team and birthplace, as well as her life experience and personal attitudes to pain, will affect her birth outcomes. Featuring real-life stories, the latest Australian statistics and opportunities for guided personal reflection, Birth with Confidence provides the knowledge and practical advice that women need for the best chance of normal birth in today’s birth culture.
    Birth With Confidence will:
    • Outline the benefits for mothers and babies of a normal physiological birth
    • Help you understand how our current birth culture can undermine your attempts at normal birth and the steps you can take to make sure it doesn’t
    • Explain how the various ‘circles of influence’ around you — from your friends and family to the wider culture — can support or sabotage your birthing potential
    • Help you identify your own attitude to pain — your ‘pain type’ — and what it will mean for your birth
    • Provide practical and emotional steps you can take to raise your pain threshold
    • Give you a framework for deciding on the best caregivers and support people to help you work through any ‘crisis of confidence’ during labour
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 11-03-2014 at 09:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats! I've heard nothing but positives about Frances Perry - several friends have given birth there or are currently booked in. I'm at The Women's (29 weeks) and although I'm sure they'd be amazing if anything ever went wrong, and hopefully fine for the birth, I've found the prenatal care to be really disjointed and confusing. You don't see anyone at the hospital until 16 weeks and (my experience) I've then seen a different doctor at each appointment, 5 minute appointments each time, very impersonal and none of the midwife led care I was expecting! There are also long waiting times at each appointment (just waited 45 mins at pathology, and still have to wait after that to see the midwife). That said- it's all covered by medicare and when it comes to the actual clinical care/ skills I have no concerns. There is also the option with public to do shared care with your GP and avoid most of the hospital visits.
    Good luck and congrats again!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went public with the RWH but did shared care with a private midwife instead of GP. Brilliant!

Only had to go to the hospital twice (long wait times!) and all other antenatal appts were at my own home.

They can also attend the birth and do post natal visits.

I would def do it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/caes...310-34hw4.html

Caesareans twice as likely in private hospitals: report

Miki Perkins March 11, 2014
    Healthy women giving birth in Victoria's private hospitals are almost twice as likely to have their babies delivered by caesarean section than those in the public system.
    These low-risk women are also four times more likely to have their labour induced but less likely to suffer from severe third-degree perineal tears, according to a new report from the state government.
    About a third of women gave birth via caesarean section in Victoria's private hospitals in the past two years compared with about 16 per cent in public hospitals, but doctors say the reasons for this are complex.
    Professor Euan Wallace, a member of the Victorian government's Maternity Quality and Safety Committee, which produced the report, said that more research was needed to establish why.
    ''That old chestnut about private obstetricians needing to go and play golf are just rubbish,'' Professor Wallace said.
    ''I don't think anyone has ever satisfactorily explained the difference in intervention - we just don't know.''

Because the responsibility lies with individual practitioners in private practice, the small but increased risk of stillbirth between 38 and 42 weeks could prompt doctors to induce earlier, Professor Wallace said.
    The data also shows a greater variability in the rate of death of babies born across Victoria hospitals in the past five years.
    There is an almost threefold difference between the hospitals with the lowest perinatal mortality ratio in the past five years and those with the highest.
    The Western District Health Service in Hamilton had a ratio more than twice the state average, while the Latrobe Regional Hospital in Traralgon, and Ballarat Health Services were also well above average.
    A spokesman for the Health Department said conclusions about the causes of perinatal deaths could not be drawn from the data in the report and could be for reasons that were unrelated to hospital performance, such as demographic factors.
    Health services with higher relative ratios of perinatal mortality in 2010 all demonstrated improvements in this relative rate in 2011, he said.
    Health Minister David Davis released figures that showed a baby is born in a Victorian hospital every seven minutes, on average.
    Mr Davis said that the greater rate of intervention in private hospitals should be evidence-based and done to protect the health of the woman and child.
    The Victorian maternity service performance indicators report also showed a slight increase in the public hospital rate of women who smoked before 20 weeks gestation, from 13 per cent to 15 per cent.
    Breastfeeding rates remained steady, while the use of infant formula in public hospitals was about 25 per cent in 2011, compared with 35 per cent in private hospitals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally prefer private. I like the continuity of care from my OB and although some people still feel like just a number with private I think if you get a good OB it makes a world of difference. With my first I liked the fact that I had that one person I knew I could call with any concerns etc which I found handy when I got HG at 5weeks.
    I think if you do decided to go private, it's more important to get a good OB that you like rather than the hospital. In saying that, I used FP first time and will be again with this pregnancy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MiniMeNU For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to Frances Perry and loved it. My OB is Kym Jansen and she is lovely!! Very relaxed and supportive! I'm currently 6 weeks and seeing her again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    FYI I went private and delivered naturally. Had to go into theatre afterwards due to placenta problems and bleeding, so I was thankful to be in a hospital!! I knew what I wanted during my labour and the midwives supported me in my desires. Loves the big baths in the delivery suite too!! I liked being able to stay in the hospital the extra few nights and was very confident when I left for home. Also the post natal support was excellent too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happeemamma For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was public - had a very low risk pregnancy that went to sh!t at the end. The hospital was great and I was perfectly happy with the treatment I received. I would never bother with going private personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could also go to St Vincent's Private (it's right near Freemasons). There are some fantastic OBs based there, including my fabulous one Amber Moore.

After visiting friends in other private maternity hospitals I think St V's is the nicest. And you're guaranteed a private room. Food is pretty good too!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (13-03-2014)