+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF in Spain!

Dear fellow forum member,

Everything written here is my own experience with IVF, therefore it cannot replace the counseling of a doctor.
    My partner and I were 46 years old, when we started our first DE transfer. The only problem I have, is that my eggs were of low quality due to my age, the sperm quality of my partner is excellent. Therefore I was looking for an egg donor.
    As we are Australians, living in Perth we are living in a state (WA), where the identity of egg donors is not anonymous and donors will not receive compensation (only travel expenses). Of course this is a big drawback for donors. We were looking for egg donors for more than a year, but found nobody willing to donate. We had to consider other options.
    We researched every option and were shocked by the high prices. We also considered buying frozen donor eggs from the US (World Egg Bank), but we realized that although there are many women listed in their profiles, many of those women had not actually been screened/tested yet, and just as many were not actually available. Also, we did not find that the World Egg Bank did enough screening for infectious diseases of their donors. Given that the World Egg Bank was selling six mature eggs for $15K, and there was no guarantee that some good quality eggs would fertilize, we did not believe this was the best option for us. So after exhaustion and desperation we decided to try our luck in Spain, Europe. The treatment was highly promising. The costs are lower, even with the flight and other travel expenses included. But the most important thing was the success rate: one of the highest in the whole world. We visited IVF Spain in Alicante (www.ivf-spain.com) and would always recommend that clinic!

We used an anonymous PROVEN donor who closely matched my physical characteristics and heritage. She was 24 years old and a student. We did not get to see a picture of her, but were told that it was a good match. She produced 17 eggs, 15 of which were mature, and 11 of which fertilized with ICSI. In the end we received 5 viable 5-days blasts. We transferred back two fresh blasts, and vitrified the remaining three. My uterine lining was, unfortunately, not the ideal 9mms or more for the transfer (was closer to 8mms). We ended up with a BFN with the fresh transfer. Total cost including the 10 days travel/stay in Alicante for the fresh donor egg transfer: approx. A$12 000.

I would only recommend going abroad for egg donation or for a double donation. Only then the price is cheaper in Europe than at home.

ANONYMOUS EGG DONORS

Most egg donation programs in Europe are anonymous. This is a very sensitive and emotional topic with some people feeling strongly that the child should be able to contact its egg donor and find out more about this woman, who shares her genes with the child. Others think differently of course. They don’t want to confuse the child and feel as the actual parents without questions. There are no right or wrong answers and this thread is not here to get into the debate on ID release vs. anonymous donors and/or whether to tell the child or not that they are donor conceived. It simply aims to provide the facts. The ultimate decision has to rest with you, the prospective parent(s).

Anonymous clinics will not show you a picture of the potential donor. That being said, they do match you with a donor with similar characteristics, so that if a child is born, s/he will fit into your family. If you must see a picture of your donor, then European egg donation is probably not for you. If a picture is important for you, then you may wish to work with a AUS clinic that provides profiles of potential donors. The cost, however, is significantly higher – 2 to 3 times the cost.
    More details about donors are provided below.

PLAN AND BE ORGANIZED

There are a lot of things to do to prepare for treatment abroad. If planning and organizing is not your strength you might find that going abroad is more than you can handle. On the other hand, if you like to organize things and are detail-oriented, you will have fun with this.

TRAVEL
    Make sure you have a valid passport.
    You should be comfortable with over-seas travelling in general. If airplane travel or visiting a new country leaves you unsettled, then going abroad for ivf may be too stressful for you and could impact your treatment if you are doing a fresh cycle. If you see travel as an adventure and a possible vacation, then you will find medical tourism much easier to cope with.

Travel insurance – always a good idea to take general travel insurance in case of emergencies when you leave Australia. TIP: Check with your employer insurance as you may already have coverage. Note that all general travel insurance for emergencies do NOT cover any complications that may arise as a result of your embryo transfer as this is considered medical tourism and not the result of an emergency. Insurance specifically designed for medical tourism is available; however it is quite expensive. We did not choose this insurance since we were only doing an embryo transfer which has very little risk for complications, but the choice is entirely up to you, of course.

TIP: Try to book your treatment during the off-season in Europe. Generally that means not in July or August when all the tourists and locals take vacations, and the prices are the highest for flights and accommodations. If you happen to be a frequent traveler, check if you can use some of your airline or hotel points to save on costs of travel.

TIP: Check the internet for apartments that can be rented close to your treatment clinic in Europe. This is always cheaper than a hotel, saves you a ton of money on food costs, and usually means more space to relax in after embryo transfer. Also, IVF Spain has agreements with local apartments and hotels and can get you an excellent rate. Check!

CHOOSING A EUROPEAN CLINIC

Spain, Greece, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Russia all have very good programs and welcome international patients. Most will have English speaking co-ordinators and doctors, but check to be sure as this is crucial for communications. ivftreatmentabroad.com can co-ordinate your treatment for you if you chose to work with one of their affiliated clinics in Spain or Greece. Their services are free to you as they are paid a commission by the clinic.
    As you would in Australia, check clinic success rates. They are not all the same and IVF Spain has one of the highest success rates!
    Be sure to compare DE ivf prices between countries and between cities. I found that clinics in larger more popular cities, charge higher prices than those in less touristy areas.
    Based on my research in May 2013, the costs for one donor egg ivf cycle varied from 4,000€ to 7,200€. Each clinic prices their packages differently. For some, the price of ICSI, assisted hatching, vitrification and embryo storage is included. For others it is not.
    TIP: Look on the UK ivf discussion boards (because they can speak English and are experienced with IVF in Europe :-)) to try and find other women who have used the clinics you are interested in. They may be able to give you valuable information to help you choose, plus tips for travel.

TIP: As with any clinic, check credentials of the clinics you are considering. You would be amazed what a Google search can turn up!

EGG DONORS
    As indicated above, most European clinics will not provide pictures or identifying information of donors because egg donation is anonymous. Neither you nor the child will ever be able to find out more information or make contact with the donor. The level of information you get about the donor will vary slightly from country to country and even clinic to clinic, but essentially you can expect basic physical characteristics (eg. hair/eye/skin colour, blood type, height/weight, age, nationality) and perhaps – but not always - some information about occupation/education level/hobbies. Generally speaking, egg donors tend to be university students or young mothers looking to supplement their income. Some clinics will identify a back-up donor, just in case something does not work out along the way.

TIP: Ask to be matched with a PROVEN donor under 30, and confirm what tests the donors have undergone. (I found that the Spanish clinics are actually VERY strict about who they chose as donors, but I cannot speak for the other countries.

TIP: You may want to seek out other women who have given birth using an anonymous egg donor with no pictures to see how they felt about their experience. Check out the UK Fertility Friends website on donor eggs for more info. http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=551.0

Each clinic seems to be unique with the types of donors available. Some clinics have a very diverse donor database, while others are less diverse. Check with them to be sure. IVF Spain does have a donor pool of 500 different donors with every ethnic, religion, phenotype you might wish for.

As mentioned above, the majority of clinics match on basic physical characteristics such as hair/eye/skin colour, height/weight, and blood type. If you are Rhesus Negative you should probably seek an RH negative donor (to avoid needing Anti D injections during pregnancy). And if you are having double donation, you should ensure the sperm donor is also RH negative.)

That being said, if you have made the decision not to tell the child they are donor conceived, or you are undecided on whether to tell or not, then you would be advised to ensure the donor’s blood type is the same as yours. (Again, NO judgement here, just information to consider.)
    One additional criteria which some clinics may wish to match on is CMV status. CMV is a virus, which if active during pregnancy and transmitted to the fetus, can cause potentially significant issues for the baby such as delayed development, deafness etc. Note though that the risk of the mother actually contracting the live CMV virus from donor egg/sperm is very low. However some clinics prefer not to take any risk on this and if you are CMV negative, they will insist on you having a CMV negative donor. Some clinics will let you sign a waiver if you are CMV negative but happy to take a positive donor, and some clinics don't even check your CMV status - so check with your clinic in advance if this is something you are concerned about.

Photographs - You should be asked to provide your European clinic with a picture of yourself and one of your partner. Some clinics may also ask for pictures of any kids you may have had together already. Once a match is found, the details (no picture of the donor) will be shared with you and you can decide whether to proceed or not. Some clinics may match you with more than one donor and give you two to choose from.

In our experience, we were offered two donors who were very closely matched to me. We had asked for a proven donor under 30 with post-secondary education. Both donors met these criteria

TIME BEFORE TREATMENT STARTS

Based on my research, I have found that there are minimal waiting times to be matched with a donor. We first made contact in May 2013. We finished all of our required testing the end of May and we were matched with our donor in June. Our fresh donor egg transfer was August 5th, 2013.

Communication

The majority of Eurpean clinics will have staff who speak English, however, it will be as a second language, so you cannot expect the same fluency as you would in Australia or the UK. Much of your communication may be by email. You may be frustrated by the brevity of the email response, or the speed (or not) of response to emails. None of this is necessarily a major barrier to successful treatment, but is another factor to take into account when you are selecting a clinic.

I am happy to answer any questions or for others to add to this information from their own research or experience. We have zero regrets about having gone abroad for DONOR EGG ivf. Especially our choice of IVF Spain was perfect. The team was very friendly, the treatments were somewhat relaxing with the Feng Shui facilities and music they have in every room. Their English is very fluent and Alicante is an amazing city. Also the price is low compared to other clinics with one of the best success rates and you start off with a free and non-binding skype conversation. We have some great blasts left to work with and it cost us much less than if we had done this in Australia. Best wishes everyone!
    Last edited by RachBy; 21-08-2015 at 21:45.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RachBy For This Useful Post:

ange1111  (07-03-2016),ECM1981  (08-12-2015),Samanthalee  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF-Spain info:Thank you

Dear RachBy,

Thank you so much for your wonderfully detailed account of your experience with IVF-Spain....I am trying to research people's experiences before we sign on. I'm from Toronto, Canada, and am thinking of using donor eggs at their clinic. I know this link is a year old...I hope you get this message!

I was very sad to hear you did not get pregnant with your first attempt with the 2 blasts. I am wondering, did you use your other 6 frozen blasts? Did you get pregnant?

I would like to go to ivf-Spain (or anywhere), get pregnant, and that that would be the end of the drama....so wishing for positive results!

Any info you or anyone can give me about IVF-Spain or any other clinic would be great!

Also, has anyone heard of Iegra Tres Torres? www.iegratrestorres.com?

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear
    Woderfully Wishful, thank you so much for replying. I have gone back once more
    to IVF Spain, last December actually, to get my ice babies and I am now
    finally pregnant. The experience at IVF-Spain has been the same, I was very
    happy with their professionalism and the offer of technologies. It seems to me
    that they do not have a single treatment or technology missing in their offer.
    On top of that, they are very friendly. Anyway I am very happy and cannot be
    more thankful for destiny, IVF-Spain, God and whatever has had an impact
    on me finally getting pregnant
    . I haven´t heard about Iegra Tres Torres however but I´m sure you can get more information on European forums like Fertilityfriends and Rollercoaster! If you have more questions just ask, always glad to help .
    Last edited by RachBy; 30-07-2015 at 01:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear Rachby,

Thank you for the detailed information. We are seriously considering to have DE option now. I'm 34 years old, we had 6 stim cyles without viable embryos to achieve a pregnancy. My husband is in his 40s and have sperm issues. I have looked into IVF-spain since saw your post. Their price has increased to€6,350 for a shared donor and cost9,900 for an exclusive donor. I was wondering if you chose the shared donor option? they only guarantee 2 blastocyst embryos for shared donor option and 4 blastocyst for exclusive option. Do you think it's worthwhile to go for the exclusive option? How much it cost if you have a frozen transfer if the fresh one wasn't successful at the first go?

thanks a million!
    Viv

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear HopeAgain,I did an exclusive egg donation and got pregnant after the second treatment. For the shared egg donation you should talk to the clinic directly, as I’m not an expert in this, but when I talked with them via Skype, they told me that the shared egg donation does not guarantee any blastocysts and that they would recommend EEVA on top of the shared egg donation. This technique monitors the development of embryos, the biologists can choose the best ones and it increases the pregnancy rate a lot. The shared egg donation guarantees you less embryos than the exclusive ones and it really depends on the sperm quality of your partner. But best is to contact IVF-Spain yourself. I was talking to Ellis, a very nice lady, who explained everything very clearly to me. The Email address is e.ofenhammer@ivf-spain.com. I wish you the best of luck for your treatment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dearest Rachby,

Thank you very much for sharing. I had a Skype consultation with Dr.Natalia. She is very lovely. She suggested to do exclusive programme. You must had a very good deal back then. The exclusive programme has increased to€9,900.I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions about your experiences.

How did you find those drugs (Progynova, Utrogest, Decapeptyl) for preparing your uterus lining? Did you have any problems with them? I need to find a Dr. here in Melb to do my Ultrasound + Scratching. Are you living in Melb? The clinic has a deal with 'mediterraneo dream apartments', I can't seem to find any information on line about these apartments. Where did you stay in Alicante? Did you guys eat out most of the time or it was easier to cook in your apartment?
    It seemed to be quite daunting and overwhelming, but again I'm sure it's not as bad as going through the painful IVF experiences of ourselves here.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
    xxxooo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear HopeAgain,
    great that you started with them. It´s a good choice. I know Dr. Szlarb myself , she really is great. The price difference must be due to a different package they have now. Sometimes they include or exclude special treatments and tests, so the price can vary. I paid different prices in between my two treatments, too.
    I live in Perth, so I can’t give you any advice for Melbourne, but finding a doctor/satellite clinic will be easy! The medication did not cause me any problems. I got the prescription from IVF-Spain and went to a pharmacy in Perth that didn’t want to give me the medication, so I tried another pharmacy and they gave me the medication. So it could be that you have to try out some pharmacies, before you get them. Just ask the assistants at IVF-Spain, they will know how to help you with this. You could also buy the drugs online.
    I stayed at one of their apartments in Alicante. We preferred to be independent and have our own space and tranquility, so the apartment was just perfect. They should send you the list of hotels and apartments with the first email. We cooked many times in the apartment, especially because you can buy so much fresh food, for so cheap at the “Mercado”. They have fruits and vegetables and loads of variety of fish. But of course you should eat out once or twice, to get some Paella. Spanish food is delicious!!!
    Of course it is a huge step, going overseas for treatment, but I know of many Australians that did so and it´s worth it. Just connect the treatment with a small Europe trip maybe, since you are there already. Greetings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear RachBy,

hope you are well. i'm about to start the Mock Cycle in a couple of weeks. i have found there is a bit lack of clear communication and I'm very worried about how my body will synchronise with their treatment time line. I'm currently on contraception pill. ( i just started to bleed today, it feels like a light period) In two week time, I'm suppose to stop the pill and I should have another bleed in order to start Progynova. My concern is I'm bleeding now, will I have another bleed just after 2wks? If I didn't bleed as they expected, the Mock cycle wouldn't start. Therefore everything will not synchronise with the transfer cycle. We have booked our tickets, there's a timeline accordingly. I just don't know what we do if my body doesn't behave the way they are asking.

Did you bleed straight after you stopped the pill? I don't know why I'm so concerned and feeling so uncertain about if everything will work out according to their plan. I really feel like crying about the whole process on this journey. There's not even one day is certain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear HopeAgain, Don´t worry so much, it will all work out well . I was very nervous during my first transfer, but this only causes stress and you should relax now. A positive result is not only the medical part, but the psychological part, too. I did meditate a lot before and after my transfer, for me this helped a lot. Or ask your partner for a massage . I don’t know what happens with you exactly, as I´m no doctor, but if you stop your contraceptive pill you should get a bleeding, even if you had the last one just two weeks ago. From my own experience I started to bleed two days after I took the last pill, even a couple of days after my last period. I can tell you that bleedings can be side effects of the pills, as well. I had a bleeding but this did not risk my time frame for the transfer. The mock cycle is just a trial cycle, to coordinate everything and see how you react to everything, as everyone is different. If you react differently, they would adapt the actual cycle accordingly. When are you flying to Alicante? If you need any tips during your stay just ask me! I was in Altea for example, a small village close to Alicante (like an hour by train or so). It is very old and has a tiny mountain in the middle, with a church on top. Sooo amazing. You will love it there. Greetings from Perth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear RachBy,

Hope you are well... I'm flying to Alicante next week. Can't believe it's so close now. I was wondering if you can share more tips about where to visit ( thanks for the tips about Altea), where to eat and anything you can remember about the transfer & clinic ? Did you get an acupuncture there? When did you get a transfer after you arrived?
    Thanks so much!