+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and it depends on the type of block. We have a wooded/rocky quite steep block so we don't actually need to mow it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The one we are viewing tomorrow is 10 acres of big flat beautiful lawns with the house and pool in the middle its stunning. I just mentioned the mowing thing to dh and he said yeh im concerned about that too. Our vision had just been to use them to play cricket etc does anyone pay to have mowing done? (dh works a lot) would renting the paddocks out to people to keep their horses on work??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How much time do you have?
    I grew up in the country and do did DH. We moved closer to the city briefly to a 1 acre block but now we are back in the country on 360acres

I agree with PP. Check out water. Even if it's in town water, it's worth putting a tank in. Also look for a bore and if not, you can always drill to find water? But costly though so only do it if there is no access to town water.
    I live in WA and water is scarce. I've had to get three loads of water carted in two years. (Mind you we built our house so the tank was bone dry to begin with) so a bore was necessary if we wanted gardens/animals.

In terms of snakes/spiders. Get your house perimeter sprayed for spiders. I've never seen a snake around my house. But I have three dogs and a cat and I think they keep them away. Oh I lie, I did see a snake but it was half a snake that my dogs had killed and the cat ate the tail. God I sound like a redneck lol.
    Keep the grass short. We have a ride on mower for the dry crappy stuff around the house yard (which is 5 acres) and just us a normal mower for our lawns.

Other PROs
    Kids love it - we have veggie gardens and livestock - pet calves and lambs and donkeys - plus the ones we kill and eat.
    10 acres is plenty of room for a few animals if you wanted them.
    We spend afternoons catching yabbies in the dam, motorbike riding, feeding our animals etc
    Peace and quiet
    Camping, bonfires.
    Love having people over, kids have so much room to explore and play.
    We've got room to have a kids playground
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1394455158.848802.jpg (more to be added to it)
    Room for a pool
    Room for a fire pit
    Room for a huge alfresco (see above pic, it's not finished yet as you can tell by it being the home for the bush basher)
    Room for big gardens
    Room for house renos
    Room for sheds

My DH can do fencing so that's a non issue for us. Could your DH learn?

Cons for us
    We are an hour and a half from the city so we rarely get to do thing like movies, zoo, beach etc but it's all the more special when we do.

Wouldn't trade our lifestyle for anything

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can agist horses or cattle for sure but you'd need troughs and a water source. Are there troughs in the paddocks? Obviously you also need to be in an area where this is in demand. It's great when it's possible though!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you plan on actually using the space (horses, tennis court, pool, bikes etc.) then the pro's are space, obviously.

Cons: (from my experience):
    - NEVER ending property maintenance - and I mean never-ending
    - Cost (of property maintenance) is very high (ride-on mower/mower maintenance; power; tools; pool maintenance if you have a pool; pest control/fencing; security; etc etc)
    - wildlife (snakes, toads (QLD); deer; rabbits; ducks (if water holes on property)

They are the main ones but some thought should go into them as they are a big deal on acreages. It's lovely, scenically, but so much work. Even just for 2.5 acres like we had. The cost was massive but that's including huge pool with 2 pumps and 2 ride-on mowers and horse. If you just have the land and not have to mow it, perfect! But look into property maintenance thoroughly before deciding, and water/power needs.

The biggest pro for sure is... PEACE and quiet, and stunning vistas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT256 View Post
    You can agist horses or cattle for sure but you'd need troughs and a water source. Are there troughs in the paddocks? Obviously you also need to be in an area where this is in demand. It's great when it's possible though!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes and also need to check paddocks for potholes (v/important for horses as they can injure themselves easily), thorns and grass (type plus amount), shelter, stables and storage for grains and seed (attracts snakes too so be mindful of that), tractor & fencing costs. Look into that closely too if you plan to ageist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    There's not really anything that effectively repels snakes (at least not where I come from!) so you'd need to have the number of a snake catcher handy or a shovel. But a good way to reduce the likelihood of snakes is to not have piles of stuff (timber etc) they can hide in, keep vermin down as best you can (since that's what snakes eat), and keep lawn/grass etc mowed. Mowing can be a huge task. We used to live on 5 acres and just had a ride on mower and it would take days to mow it all. A slasher would've been better but we couldn't afford it.
    There are these new things on the market that, if snakes are a problem, you can put them around the perimeter of the house yard.
    They are solar powered vibrating snake repellents.
    According to our feed store man he has had rave reviews about them... Haven't used them personally, as snakes haven't (touchwood) been a problem for us.
    Like pp though, we also have 3 dogs and 1 cat, so I'm pretty sure that helps keep them away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fire planning is a massive one- if you live outside the town boundary you may not have the help of the fire brigade if the town is under threat. It's a huge stress every summer and needs to be thought about.
    Town water isn't necessary but a massive tank and second completely separate system comes in handy during times where pumps die and again fire season.
    Insurance- costs are MUCH higher.
    Bin service, postal service, sewerage may not be available. Factor in these costs.
    Mowing, mowing, mowing- we have about 3 acres of "lawn" and an amazing ride on but it is a big chore! 10 acres of lawn=we couldn't do it!
    If agisting please look into your insurance- it will be one of the first things your insurance person should ask you. On ten acres paddock maintenance, over grazing, manure will be an issue and also the coming and going of agisters.
    But in saying all this- acreage living is THE BEST! Like coming home to your own oasis everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 5 acre block that we lived on for 8 years, have just moved to a suburban 1 acre block that we have been renovating for 2 years. Our plan was to finish the smaller block off (it has a bigger house) and live in it until it was sold, then build a bigger house on the five acre block and use the old small one as a guest house for my parents when they visit from overseas. But, are finding that we are finally getting our lives back in weekends and that plan may be scrapped!

Pros- room for everything, DH had a 6 bay shed full of "toys". Kids can ride their bikes around the property, they got little motorbikes at about 4 years old, we had friends over for camping in the yard, campfires all the time, fruit trees and gardens, and if the neighbour's houses aren't too close, peace and quiet. Trampolines, swing sets, outdoor toys were the sorts of things we bought for birthdays and Christmas. Plenty of room for whatever pet the kids want.

Cons- we needed a big expensive zero turn mower, and it would take 4-5 hours for DH to mow. This is every weekend during the wet season. We needed a tractor and slasher for the paddock. Fencing the whole property was expensive. We had rain water for household use, bore water for irrigation (and then you need an expensive bore pump). Luckily DH is really good at running irrigation pipes and fixing leaks, or we would have been in truble. We had to spray the weeds, which required a big spray setup on the tractor, or you would have to organise something else (a lot of people use quad bikes). Backpack sprayers are just not enough when doing that many trees and long fence lines. If you go away for holidays, you will come home to a lot of work. If you both go out every day, that's an extra hour of driving, 15 minutes extra each way. If you have a dirt driveway, or roads, your car will always look dirty. Too far away to pop out and get takeaway when you decide your too tired in the evening to cook...if your house is close to the boundary you may be hearing roosters and neighbour's dogs barking, and the council is much less likely to enforce noise complaints on a rural property.

You could get a gardener to come do your mowing and weeds a couple of times a month, we are currently paying $300 a month for someone to do this at our 5 acre block while we rent it. He mows the lawns, sprays fencelines and weeds the gardens once a fortnight.

We did see snakes more often, but they were mostly in our chicken pen. We learned to listen for squawking at night! Had a few sightings of poisonous snakes but this was when we had let the mowing go for too long. Spiders were not a worry.

I have a lot more cons listed than pros, but I do miss the acreage...not quite ready to sell it as we may get sick of suburban life and want to return!