+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Talk to me about the pro's & cons of acreage living

We currently live on a 700m2 block.in a 41sq house so our yard space is very small. We love our lifestyle and are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area, we are in a gated estate with security, golf course etc. We have a 3 yr old ds and baby 2 on the way. I grew up.in the country in the UK and loved it, i really want to see my kids running around in a big open yard. We are seriously thinking of selling and moving to acreage about 15 mins away looking at 10 acre blocks approximately. So this would be a huge life change for us so we are waying up all the pro's and cons. Please give me advice and your experiences

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does it have town water? If not water supply is a consideration. Look for a property with a bore. If its in a newish estate area on the coast I imagine it will be on town water though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the few we are looking at are on town water. Anything i should look for when we view tomorrow that makes life easier/ harder/ more enjoyable etc ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live on 80 acres which is a hobby farm near a small town.

PROs.....no close neighbours - space and water to grow vegies, orchard etc - great space for children to live an outdoor/adventurous lifestyle - chooks, sheep, self sufficiency - home that suits our lifestyle with good country kitchen for cooking, cellar etc. - stars at night, bonfires and fantastic place for entertaining with a difference.

CONS....money goes out on fencing etc - currently a mouse problem! - have to be committed to maintaining the lifestyle (watering, feeding animals, mowing tree planting etc etc) which can be like a second job at the end of a working week and does use leisure time.

Our place is larger than what you are thinking of but I'm happy to answer anything specifically you are wondering if it helps.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT256 For This Useful Post:

SHAELEEJANE  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PP said. Also

bin service, not all acerage has this but sounds like no prob for where you are.
    Maintenence is a biggie. The right equipment for the job etc
    Plenty of things you can do make life easier. Irrigated house yard and veggie patches etc.
    keeping plants clear from the house for reduction of snakes near the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes just looking at 10 acres so not wanting animals. Snakes and spiders worry me big time!! Ill be getting a pest spray monthly lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's not really anything that effectively repels snakes (at least not where I come from!) so you'd need to have the number of a snake catcher handy or a shovel. But a good way to reduce the likelihood of snakes is to not have piles of stuff (timber etc) they can hide in, keep vermin down as best you can (since that's what snakes eat), and keep lawn/grass etc mowed. Mowing can be a huge task. We used to live on 5 acres and just had a ride on mower and it would take days to mow it all. A slasher would've been better but we couldn't afford it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Check that there is water and sewage connections.
    Tanks &/or bore if not.
    How much will you have to pay for electricity services to be connected (will depend on closest transformer). Same goes with phone - these things can be very expensive!
    You can actually buy snake repellents, I can't remember the name of them but will come back when I do.
    Mowing, fencing, etc.
    I dream of living on acreage again, I'm very jealous and after initial set up costs as above I would see any negatives

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're not having animals, how will you keep the grass down? Mowing only? 10 acres is a lot for that. Something to consider.
    What are you envisaging doing with the space?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT256 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Were on 5 acres about an hour from Perth so similar size to what your looking at.

We don't have really any draw backs.

Were on tank water, 190,000 litres and never run out despite having a pool and spa.

Our firebreaks take a little maintenance. Took DH about a week to strim it down then spray but because it's mostly gravel it's not required maintenance so far this season.

You need to be aware of fire season. Will this be a problem for you, some people find the stress to much to cope with and choose to move away.

Sounds like the commute won't be huge but if it is then keep it in mind.

We love it and really haven't looked back since we moved out here last year.