+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lack of mimicking

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can offer some advise on my almost 9 month old son.... My DS is babbling away saying ba, da, ga and a few others but I'm concerned he's not mimicking sounds and actions. For example he can clap but if I clap he won't copy. Should I be concerned? Otherwise he is a very happy smiley baby that is my world. Thanks for reading.... Maybe one day I can stop looking into everything too much:-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly try not to stress about these things. Every child does things in their own time and not according to a schedule in a book.

I have saved myself so much anxiety since forgetting about when ds should be doing this or that and just enjoying him for the individual he is.

As for the mimicking in particular I wouldn't worry. Ds could clap for months before he would ever copy me and clap on cue. He then even went through a stage where he wouldn't clap at all but was doing other things.

Even now at 16 months he won't always clap when I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 16 month old never mimicked. I'd always try get him to clap, high-five etc and he'd never follow. Then he'd randomly do it on his own they're fabulous observers, he's watching and thinking just not ready to do what you think he should do.

DS now claps, waves, high-fives etc. don't stress, he's only little and doing just fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 9 month old rarely ever mimicks anything we do or say. But, if he is making a sound (gaga, mama etc) and I start copying him, he will give me a weird look and start making a different sound, like he wants to see what I'll do. So I think he sort of understands but in reverse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your reply. You have certainly put my mind at ease a bit more :-)))