+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working parents - how long is your commute to/from work?

How long is your commute each day?
    Do you work FT or PT?
    Do you have help with the kid(s) in the morning/afternoons, or do you do drop-offs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My commute is in peak hour traffic each way so from home to daycare is about 7 minutes then 30-60 minutes to work, depending on traffic. My husband usually finishes before me so picks our daughter up on his way home, however traffic is usually worse in the afternoon so my trip is 40-60 minutes to home.

ETA - Oh and I work part time, 4 days, 8 hours per day. Because of the long commute, working short days isn't really an option as it would be a waste of time and petrol to only work for a few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have one child, work full time and have no help before or after school. I wake up at 5.30am, wake DS up, get ready, leave the house at 6.30 and I'm at work between 6.50 and 7am. The afternoon pick up takes a little longer due to more traffic on the road. The round trip in the afternoon probably takes 30-35min.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work four days a week, two shifts I work from 7 to 330 and two from 1 to 930. The morning shifts ds rides to school and back. The afternoon I drop him at school and after school he catches bus into the city and my mum picks him up and they bus to her place and I pick him up afterwards . In the morning it takes me 15 min as no traffic, in the afternoon about 20 to 25 min as it's peak hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I work full time. My commute is now under 15 mins, which is heaven compared to what I used to do (120km round trip each day).

My DH is a SAHD (who works the occasional evening/weekend shift to supplement our income), and we are yet to utilise day care. I let DH sleep in until about 15 minutes before I leave in the morning and I take care of DS whilst I get ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work full time, all different shifts. It's 2 mins from my house to kindy and I work at the kindy next door.

When I finish early I pick dd up. When dh finishes before me he picks her up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 kids, work 30 hours a week. I've structured my hours starting this week so I work 2 full days and 3 half days so I can be free to take ds2 to afternoon kindy and for ds1's sports as I want to be as involved as I can.

Up til recently dh was a FIFO worker but he isn't now and it's great having him home. We don't have family up here so don't have anyone that can help us if we did require it and our friends have their own families and lives so don't call on them.

My work is 2 mins away p, daycare and school are 5mins away. Daycare starts at 7am and school starts at 8am with a bus service so I start work at 7.30am. It's nice having those extra hours in the afternoon off with the kids, school finishes at 2.20.

There is no way I could go back to city living having to travel and do daycare and school drop offs then travel 45mins too and from work, I'd be exhausted before I got to work and wouldn't finish work until 5pm and getting home after 6pm. Just could not go back to that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I live a 10min walk to work and always get dropped home so home within 2mins of finishing. I work 5 days a week part time. My dad does the school drop off and pick up for me otherwise i would be jobless due to my start time and bsc not opening in time for me to use.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time and study part time. Commute to/from work usually 45mins each way. Preschool is an extra 20mins in oppposite direction. We are pretty lucky in that drop-offs and pick ups are shared between me, DH, my mum and FIL. I only need to do about 2 a week which is great. The commute does get to me a bit but the only other alternative for my type of work is a 1.5hr communte each way so thats not an option at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    longgggggg...wayyyyy too lonnnggggg....the drive to daycare is about 15 minutes..then its takes another approximately 1 hour to drive to work (worse some days) ...if i leave work at 4pm i get to daycare at about 5.15pm and then get home by maybe 545pm by the time u fiddle around etc...its wayy too long...its a 3 hour round trip basically...but ive accepted another job (verbally) cos its what i want to do and the commute is probably a bit longer ( but the company has several offices closer so im hoping like hell i can get transferred later) .. i work three days a week...its tiring ....i dont think i could work more days with such a commute..me and DH take turns either picking up or drop off....i hate sydney traffic..its getting worse every year and they keep building more and more freakin houses and yet the roads stay $hite...argghhhhh