+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Thank you for your replies.

She is a sneaky little bugger. She figured out that if she opens the door really slowly the chime is quiet.

I am going to move the frog tonight up high pointing down. Hopefully i can redirect the laser or whatever it is as we live in a rental and cant attach anything to the walls.

I actually feel like a prison officer going around and checking the house at night. Remotes get hidden, computer chair actually gets tied to the desk etc but it is really hard to lock down the whole house and she doesnt just do one thing specifically. It varies!

I also find that hiding things makes her see it as a "Challenge" and i worry again about her safety climbing up on things to find what we have hidden.

I am really hesitant about a child proof gate etc as she is finally night dry and i might not wake up quick enough if she needs to go to the toilet.

Ugh, i know (or pray, hope, wish) that this will pass in time but i am just so frustrated. It has gone on for so long now. I am not sleeping very well as i guess i am keeping one ear out all night so i am not really rested when i wake up.

DH starts work really really early and he is getting dressed in the laundry every morning and slipping out so he does not wake or disturb her. He even has his house key separate from his other keys so they dont make a sound!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    a lockable flyscreen door? she can see out but can't actually get out..?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-03-2014),Curby  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a baby gate at the top of our stairs that stops DS from wandering downstairs in the morning, also, we have baby proof door knob covers on the doors to the rooms we don't want him to get into. Would be harder though if your house is single storey/open plan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    We have a baby gate at the top of our stairs that stops DS from wandering downstairs in the morning, also, we have baby proof door knob covers on the doors to the rooms we don't want him to get into. Would be harder though if your house is single storey/open plan.
    Yeah, Its open plan. There are doors for the bedrooms but thats all. Our room and DD's room is at the end of a hallway and half way down the hallway is the toilet. I wanted to put a child gate up after the toilet so she cant go any further But where there is a wall on one side there is a door on the other side so there is no where to put one!

We did, one night out of desperation put the lounge chair in the hallway to block it - my beautiful little monster just scaled it!!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    No real ideas here, except to say that this would drive me round the bend and I would probably resort to baby gate! Just wondering, you've said that she knows she shouldn't be doing it. Can she articulate why she's doing it?

If it's boredom, could you set up a little treasure chest that you put something new into every night or so for her to explore the next morning?maybe you could make a game out of hiding it but let her know it'll only be somewhere that she's allowed to be until you get up ie keep it low and in safe places. You could have a little craft activity or some special pens/textas or Lego or whatever she likes?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    No real ideas here, except to say that this would drive me round the bend and I would probably resort to baby gate! Just wondering, you've said that she knows she shouldn't be doing it. Can she articulate why she's doing it?

If it's boredom, could you set up a little treasure chest that you put something new into every night or so for her to explore the next morning?maybe you could make a game out of hiding it but let her know it'll only be somewhere that she's allowed to be until you get up ie keep it low and in safe places. You could have a little craft activity or some special pens/textas or Lego or whatever she likes?
    When i catch her she shoots back into her room onto her bed. When i follow her into her room and ask what she was doing (this morning it was through gritted teeth) she says she was being naughty. I ask her what she was doing that was naughty and she says she was doing such and such. When i ask her what she should have been doing she says she should be sleeping, going to the toilet or waking up me. It has become so routine now that it is almost a rehearsed conversation!
    If i hear her get up and i hear her walk past the toilet, i call out to her and she comes into bed with me for "Snuggles" and will happily go to sleep again.
    I might try setting up an activity for her tonight. See how it goes. Knowing her though it might just encourage her to wake up early to see what it is.

Does anyones elses kids do this regularly? By regularly, i mean on a daily basis??????>?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost three year old does this every morning. So you aren't alone. The house is safe, we resorted to straps around the fridge to keep him out as he would empty the fridge and eat half the contents and make a mess with the rest. He worked out every child proof latch we tried on fridge. Now every night the kitchen is emptied into locked up cupboards, chairs put up onto tables etc. I'm hard of hearing so short of setting my alarm at 4.30 every morning I don't really know what else I could do and I'd rather he quietly gets up in morning and plays rather then makes a loud racket wanting out of his room and waking his sister. No way would he to back to sleep or snuggle with us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyfiasco For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and bathroom is locked off, house is locked up tight with all keys hidden in our rooms as he knows how to unlock the doors with the keys.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyfiasco For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    DH went and bought some straps from Bunnings at lunch. When he called me and told me he had bought them i just went silent and then asked him if he really planned on strapping dd to the bed...... major Facepalm - i am blaming being tired. In between his fits of laughter he told me that it was for the fridge and out stand alone pantry... God i am embarrassed! DD can get into all of the child proof locks so he thought about that today when he was moving a fridge at work and strapped it shut!

Crazyfiasck - i feel your pain but i am also so glad i am not alone.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (10-03-2014),harvs  (10-03-2014),LoveLivesHere  (10-03-2014),Purple Lily  (10-03-2014),smallpotatoes  (10-03-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Well, I would say that if she knows she shouldn't be doing this stuff and doesn't have a good reason to be, then it would be extremely reasonable for you and your DH to start setting some boundaries and bringing in some consequences. Probably wouldn't recommend strapping her to the bed, but it might solve your problem

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-03-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (10-03-2014)