+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to a gp tomorrow. I will discuss meds but if at all possible I want to try & avoid them until the baby is born.

I'm not going to try too hard to get to sleep when DH is away, that's what I usually do & I just end up lying there all night having panic attacks. I'm going to try for a short while & if I really can't do it I'll get up & watch movies etc. that should keep my anxiety levels a lot lower than normal which is better for the baby. It's only a temporary solution I know, but hopefully it will work this time until I can figure out how to manage it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    keep posting about it here if you need, I'll be around to listen x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My anxiety tends to be around health but not exclusively. I totally panic when not well and am always convinced I have something serious - with me this is complicated by a gp years ago misdiagnosing cancer. Currently I'm terrified that I have or am getting hellp syndrome and battling to stay calm and sane as I am also worried about what affect my stress is having on bub. You might be hyperventilating when you try deep breathing. I can relate to that feeling of panic when trying to relax with meditation. I've tried various techniques including buteyko (not sure safe in pregnancy) but for me the best thing is to sit with a timer and hands on belly. Breathe in and push tummy out to make sure you are belly breathing then let it fall back in on out breath. This is not easy if anxious or overbreathing or breath is more in your chest but it's something distracting and after a while I found I was breathing better. When stressed I am to take less than 5 of those belly breaths in a minute and sit for 5 doing this can help.
    Anxiety is such a horrible thing I can really empathise I hope you can find some way to lower the stress. Is there a trigger with you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had anxiety since I was 15... it was most brutal in my late teenage years. I managed mine by occupying myself, I printed tonnes of 'mandalas' off the internet and coloured coloured coloured. I still have a folder FULL of them. I also had one person who was always there to talk. My anxiety was worst at night because I felt incredibly alone. You can message me if you like, for someone to talk to.

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    Ive had anxiety since I was 15... it was most brutal in my late teenage years. I managed mine by occupying myself, I printed tonnes of 'mandalas' off the internet and coloured coloured coloured. I still have a folder FULL of them. I also had one person who was always there to talk. My anxiety was worst at night because I felt incredibly alone. You can message me if you like, for someone to talk to.

mother to a beautiful baby boy
    I love that idea of colouring mandalas...I'm going to borrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely avoid caffeine, it can prolong the symptoms of anxiety for six hours! Not sure where you are, but I see an awesome psychiatrist on the Sunshine Coast, am happy to give you his details via pm. I can have difficulty sleeping, so listen to guided relaxation podcasts from itunesU. I find I need the explicit instructions from guided relaxation, instead of just the 'breathe in, breathe out, relax' from general meditation/relaxation CDs etc. hope things settle for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree about avoiding caffeine. It is a trigger for me and also prolongs anxiety. I also find keeping cool helps me - air con, icy drinks. Heat seems to be a major trigger for me.
    Love the idea of lavender oil on the pillow - might have to try that one