+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anxiety

So I have an anxiety disorder & up until recently I've been able to control it during my pregnancy.

However last week DH & I had a huge fight & this triggered a massive panic attack & since then I've constantly felt anxious & even though I've tried everything I can think of to calm down nothing seems to work.

If I go to the gp he'll just send me to a psych (which didn't help last time & I have a huge amount of difficulty getting there as I don't drive & they all have their appointments during business hours & I can't take any more time off work).

Does anyone have ideas for what I can do? DH has to go away for work soon & my anxiety is always heaps worse when he is away.

I'm so worried about hurting the baby that I end up stuck in a cycle - anxious but then worried about my anxiety hurting the baby which makes me more anxious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi heartstringz, sorry to hear you're feeling this way. I too suffer from anxiety from time to time. I have found a couple of things that work for me, listed below, I hope you find some peace soon xx

* Guided meditation - there's one CD in particular that I think I've listened to 100 times lol. It's specifically targeted at anxiety and I find it helps a lot more than just the standard deep breathing meditation etc. It's called "letting go of anxiety" by Sarah Edelmam PhD Attachment 51275

* Book - this book is great because it has real practical things you can do as opposed to the "just relax and life will be good" sort of things that a lot of others do. It's called "Calm" by Denise Marek. I've found it particularly helpful since we started our battle with infertility. There are lots of good quotes that you could jot down on a notepad to have handy for those worrying times.

* Journalling - this is really important, esp for when DH is away. Getting things down on paper and looking at them in black and white can often be enough on its own to help you realise that the things that you're anxious about actually happening is very small

* be kind to yourself and validate how you're feeling. No matter what you feel or how worried you are it's so so important to let yourself know that it is perfectly ok and normal. Self talk is really important here. I often say little things in my brain to myself to help stay calm. Think about it as having a best friend on 24 standby. Think about what kind loving things they would say to you and then tell them to yourself.

* get a smile on your face - even if you really don't feel like it. It helps so much. I use a technique where I sit down quietly and think about a really happy memory of DH and it gets me every time. You could use anything else that works for you though. The important thing is to get that smile started.

That's all I can think of now, have to jump off the bus and go to work. Hope you feel better soon. You're not alone xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh one more thing. Speaking from personal experience re fights with DH... Make sure you try and tell him how you're feeling about anxiety etc and what you're worried about. Try and do as much as you can. It will help him to give you understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mrsjoey, I'll look that stuff up.

Has anyone taken anxiety meds during pregnancy? I'm terrified about causing baby birth defects or harm but at the moment I'm struggling to manage this.

Psych/cbt doesn't work. Deep breathing exercises cause me to have panic attacks so I try & avoid doing them. Sometimes guided relaxation does as well. I can't find any pregnancy yoga classes on weekends & can't get there during the week evenings as I don't drive.

DH constantly has to go away for work (even though he promised that he wouldn't have to during my pregnancy). That makes my anxiety worse but he says he doesn't have a choice as there is not much work so if he doesn't go away he'll either jeopardise his job or be forced to take rec leave, meaning he won't have any left when the baby comes.

I'm struggling & don't know what to do. GP will just send me to psych or yoga so waste of time spending the money going to see one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my anxiety & panic attacks were really controlling me this time last year, I was about 5-6 months pregnant at the time

I just really tried to look after myself - revise my nutrition, made sure I was getting all the b vitamins and drinking water, I would swim 2-3 times a week, go for walks when the air was still crisp (heat triggers my anxiety).

i drink a herbal tea with lemon balm and passionflower to calm me down, I use my breathing to get me back when I start to feel it coming xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks Zooey.

I've looked at my diet, & try to drink enough water. I walk to & from work everyday (I don't drive, so I do a lot of walking). I can't get to a pool on public transport after work so I don't swim, otherwise I would. I don't drink tea.

What breathing techniques do you use? I have tried the ones my psych told me, breath in, hold, breath out etc but that gives me panic attacks (it makes me feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen & therefore brings on a panic attack).

DH is my main source of calm but he has decided to put his job above my mental health & go away heaps in the next few weeks. I have various phobias along with my anxiety disorder & these are usually exacerbated when I am home alone overnight. So I'm actually really scared about how I will cope in the next few weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a friend who can come and stay while your partner is away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    here are 2 links - deep belly breathing and mindfulness

http://m.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhc...ce_stress?open

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/in...-less-1-minute

anxiety and panic are natural parts of our genetic makeup, we need it to learn real danger. it's learning to control it that's tricky for some.

I think it's important to recognise when your anxiety levels are going up and then be mindful of it, don't run from it and let it pass. panic attacks are self limiting, you can't panic forever. the worst thing that happened to me was I threw up or blacked out, I'm not afraid of that now. I know I'm able to bring back my anxiety to a comfortable level by breathing properly, and focusing on a few good things immediately around me.

hope this helps x
    you should def find a better GP and/or therapist and discuss meds too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im going to try a new gp. How do I find a better psych? Ive tried a few but none are good.

None of my friends are able to help, they all have young families or work shifts/long hours.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for these great ideas. I have anxiety too and it's worse during pregnancy for me. Currently 7 weeks pregnant and starting to feel it creeping up on me again...
    I have been through this before so might have some ideas when I get a chance to think about it.