+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Failure to thrive

My daughter who is 13 months is only 7.23kg. She was born at 25th and now dropped below 3rd percentile. She also short at inly 69.5cm. We had lots if health issues with her since birth. She had uti and viral meningitis at 13 days old, stopped breathing at 7 weeks due to aspiration, she had really bad reflux and still has it, she had very poor weight gain and height. She put weight on but very slowly. She was admitted to hospital last week for three nights to run tests and work out whats going on. She also very bad with raking much liquids so hospital put her on thicker. Which seems to be helping as not sure something with h r swallow. She eats really good though. Better then my older daughter did. Anyway like to know if anyone been though something like this and if they ever got an answer. As I would just like to knowvwhats going on with my daughter as every test cones up negative

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kind of tests have they done?
    Has she met most milestones?
    Are there any other health issues?

I have s friend who's kiddie is tiny for his age. He was lactose intolerant and cmpi...allergic to soy etc. He's doing fine but his tests showed up nothing. He walks and talks etc just fine too.

So it could be nothing and your LO is just small for their age. Especially considering what she's been through. Very tough on all of you.
    Have you seen a pediatrician?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2nd daughter was born 3.4kg and at 12months weighed 6.9kg. She had surgery at 7 weeks for hernias, ended up in hospital at 8 weeks for dehydration, had many bouts of croup, bronchitis, chest infections in her first year. Once on solids she was a great eater but no matter what she ate she just didn't gain weight. She was off the percentile charts for all up about 12months. She had lots of tests done by her pead and none could come up with an answer. I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually it all picked up.

She is now almost 3.5 and a healthy 13kg. Last year was the first year when she wasn't sick with a new thing every week, She is very happy and healthy now. I think that she was just a small kid with a weaker immune system them most. So maybe your little one will end up like mine, nothing physically wrong just small and eventually will pick up in size. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP are you or DH petite?

I was in the same boat when I was young, stopped growing for 2 years. Failure to thrive, all the tests fine, but I was happy and healthy. They were going to give injections my pituitary gland but luckily go me I started growing again

Now my dd is 13.5 months and her weight gain has completely dropped off. 7.8 kg. Labelled IUGR but born healthy, no issues, was on 25th percentile but around 8 months just stopped and now is around 5th percentile. I'm sure it's genetic. She's happy and meeting all her milestones. I told the doctor I'm not bothered....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 was born at 3.1kgs, had severe reflux, at 3 months was refusing to feed and losing weight. Had severe colitis (inflammation of the intestine where her poo was green, and full of mucous and blood). At 4 months we saw a Paed gastroenterologist who diagnosed her with CMPI- dairy and soy intolerance. I completely eliminated dairy and soy while I fed her and she was put on really strong doses of 2 different reflux meds. It took about a month, but she was a different baby. She started to gain weight but was still tiny- under 8kgs at a year old. She had the strongest gag reflux and would projectile vomit all solids until she was about 14 months old. When she found her appetite, she started to have some decent weight gains finally. She turned 4 in December and is still petite, but she is on the 25% for weight and 75% for height. She eats well, has no ongoing issues with food or eating, but still has a really strong gag reflux (she's particularly sensitive to smells) and is having speech therapy which is linked back to her reflux.
    She suffered with constipation for a long time and is prone to picking up tummy bugs, but is generally a happy, healthy kid.
    Just thought I'd share my story so you know that long term there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby and myself are not small and never have been...I wish..but I have no issue if she was just petite but it just just all add up. I think everything connected somehow but knowing what is hard. We see a peid regularly too since she was seven weeks. Next appt in two weeks. I know as a mum something not right but getting the testing for the right things is hard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are just so many things it could be, what tests have been done so far?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going threw this now.
    Ds2 was fine until 11 months when he decided to finally take more solid than breast milk. He stopped gaining weight and started losing it and getting sick all the time.
    He is now seeing a dietitian and pead.
    Tests for everything. Pre made fomula drink. Trying to keep breast feeding. Feeding pureed everything.

They think his body is not digesting or absorbing food.
    He is also being watched for autism.

If anyone is still looking in here I am looking for any help, understanding or just a place for us to vent and celebrate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son went through this - for years. Malabsorption. It wa terrible, they never did find a reason - expect he had severe gastritis - which 3 year olds don't get, like, ever! I have my suspicions that it may be early stage Coeliac.

Has he been tested for that yet? Or eosinophilic esophagitis. I have both - and they are both notorious for causing malabsorption in babies and kids...and adults.

Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    I'm going threw this now.
    Ds2 was fine until 11 months when he decided to finally take more solid than breast milk. He stopped gaining weight and started losing it and getting sick all the time.
    He is now seeing a dietitian and pead.
    Tests for everything. Pre made fomula drink. Trying to keep breast feeding. Feeding pureed everything.

They think his body is not digesting or absorbing food.
    He is also being watched for autism.

If anyone is still looking in here I am looking for any help, understanding or just a place for us to vent and celebrate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah. ..Have your drs referred you to a Paediatric gastroenterologist?
    They might be able to help you find the underlying issue.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2014)