+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 16+3, no antenatal appts scheduled yet and feeling anxious

Hi guys,
    I'm 16+3 today with my first baby and I'm feeling really anxious that I still haven't been booked in for my first antenatal appointment at the hospital. I'm going public at Sunshine hospital (Vic) and have had a lot of complications so far (many episodes of bleeding and a placental abruption at 10 weeks). I'm feeling extremely anxious that I have no one to ask questions and no support. I have a gp I have been seeing but she is now a 40 minute drive as I moved house and does not take phone calls. I'm just feeling really disappointed and alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear your feeling alone

Have you called the women's clinic at Sunshine to find out about your appointments?

I am having my 2nd at sunshine, I'm 21+1 and have had 2 appointments so far, but can remember with my 1st I waited a little longer for an appointment for some reason.

Hope you get your appointment soon, nothing worse especially being pregnant with your 1st.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Poor thing, are you able to change GPs? Just thinking as you are further along, driving 40mins with a full term belly might get too difficult, then you'll have someone closer to ask questions of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies, and sorry for my late response (our Internet has not been working).

I am now 17+3, and still have not heard anything. I am currently looking for a new GP in my area, but it is hard to find a good one who does not have a month long waiting list (no kidding).

I have phoned the women's clinic at Sunshine and they just say to keep waiting. I also have depression and anxiety (which I have had for years) but I feel like it is really playing up lately, and every time I think of hospital appointments, or read what the ladies in my due date group are writing about hospital appointments, it just makes me feel filled with anxiety and isolated.

I am currently looking into hiring a doula for some extra support, which I hope will help. I already have a student midwife, but I have not heard from her in 7 weeks since our first meeting, and I feel really let down by her as at that meeting I told her about all of the placenta problems that we were experiencing and that we had been told that we had a high likelihood of mc, and I haven't heard from her since. So I think I am not going to continue with her, because I really don't feel supported by her and I doubt that can be rectified.

Sorry for the massive post, I just don't feel like there is anyone that I can talk to

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have my first hospital appointment until 21 weeks, so you're not alone there. Have you checked with the hospital that they have received your booking in paperwork form your GP? Mine was sent off later in the piece which was why my appointment was so late, but the appointment letter itself came within about a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Havingababy,

I'm 30 weeks, and booked in with Sunshine Hospital. They normally don't contact you until around 20 weeks. Have you already had the referral sent off - if so you should have had a confirmation letter already. If you don't already know there are several different caseload options through Sunshine - community midwife, home birth and hospital midwife programs. You need to indicate on your referral which one you want (which I didn't do, but I called them when I got my confirmation letter to change to the community program)

I'm not sure where abouts you are, but I see an awesome GP in Braybrook - he's really thorough and is able to look after pregnancies till 20 weeks - it's only a couple of weeks for you, but if you are concerned about anything you could speak to him. PM me if you want the details.

I'm also part of a Western Suburbs mums and bubs facebook group - I'll send you a link if you are interested and you should be able to get local doula/midwife recommendations

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

Sorry, I was having a bit of a low moment when I posted here yesterday, I am feeling much better now.

I emailed the hospital yesterday and explained my situation, and they have squeezed me in for an appointment on the 22nd, so I am feeling somewhat relieved. I also had a really good chat with a potential doula last night, and will be meeting her in person next week.

Happygrl, we are in Point Cook, so Braybrook is a bit far but I appreciate your suggestions I will try and pm you now (if I can figure out how!) regarding the Facebook group as that sounds great

Thank you all for being so lovely and helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you finally got an appointment at the hospital, I bet you are feeling somewhat relieved.

I am also in Point Cook and see a community midwife in Seabrook from Sunshine Hospital, which works out great not having to travel to the actual hospital for every appointment.

I also see a GP in Point Cook for anything I need between appointments. Let me know if you want their details as I've not had any issues with the GP I see.