+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Although I am no longer a parent to an only child I have been for the last 9 years. Dh and I tried for for 8 years to have a second child. Our new baby boy is almost 7 weeks.
    Our DD always asked for a sibling. She wanted someone to share her life with. Yes life was simpler with only dd but I do not regret persevering to have another child. We were told that IVF was our only option, but after losing 40kg, I have clomid a second go and now have a gorgeous little boy because of it.

How many children you have is a very personal choice. No one can tell you if one is right it wrong.
    For me, I always felt like I wasn't done.
    Now though, I feel completely finished.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DS just turned 7 yesterday. I would love another child but i dont think its gonna happen and i have so many things to look forward to, having another child(esp with a hige age gap for me) would hinder it.

If it happens, it happens and if it doesnt it doesnt. I am not fussed either way but i do yearn for another child one day esp now i am getting older and despite getting out there, havent been able to meet any one.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love reading these posts from happy only children! It's good to know we aren't condemning our only children to a life of loneliness. It just gets so annoying having to justify why you "only" have one child. No one asks someone with 2 children why "only" 2. I feel like telling people to p!ss off when they ask why dh and I haven't had a second baby yet. I got sick of telling the truth about why we have "only" one dd so now I reply with "o we are pretty content with one child" now I have to defend that reply too!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

kriista  (17-06-2014),MsViking  (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    I love reading these posts from happy only children! It's good to know we aren't condemning our only children to a life of loneliness. It just gets so annoying having to justify why you "only" have one child. No one asks someone with 2 children why "only" 2. I feel like telling people to p!ss off when they ask why dh and I haven't had a second baby yet. I got sick of telling the truth about why we have "only" one dd so now I reply with "o we are pretty content with one child" now I have to defend that reply too!
    Im not sure if you get pressure from grandparents but I have just experienced this over the weekend. This was after I explained our ttc battles spanning 12 months. I was told that ivf is a piece of cake and having only 1 child would be a struggle for me when I was older. I honestly wanted to punch them in the face. I settled with explaining the intricacies of ivf, to someone whose most intrusive procedure is getting his balls checked for prostate issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Im not sure if you get pressure from grandparents but I have just experienced this over the weekend. This was after I explained our ttc battles spanning 12 months. I was told that ivf is a piece of cake and having only 1 child would be a struggle for me when I was older. I honestly wanted to punch them in the face. I settled with explaining the intricacies of ivf, to someone whose most intrusive procedure is getting his balls checked for prostate issues.
    Wow that is so f.....g rude! Do you say anything back??

I'm about to give birth to my first (38 weeks) and very likely only child and I am already getting people talking about the next one (which is very unlikely for us). I shut them down straight away now I have no shame lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    How very insensitive

No pressure from grandparents on either side for us. I think my parents would be terrified if I fell pregnant again due to the complications I had with DS.

I get asked about having number 2 mostly by extended family, who I don't see too often anyway. I have several valid reasons for not having another baby!

I can only imagine it would be really hard to have people hounding you about having another when you are having trouble TTC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeee View Post

I'm about to give birth to my first (38 weeks) and very likely only child and I am already getting people talking about the next one (which is very unlikely for us). I shut them down straight away now I have no shame lol
    Yeah I'm a bit the same, I usually respond to the question with another question eg: do you know how much heartache we went through to even have one child? Do you realise how much IVF costs, both physically, emotionally and financially? How would you feel about injecting yourself full of hormones/daily blood tests/multiple internal examinations/etc while trying to work full time? I don't care anymore, nobody else's business!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sure isnt! Some people have no idea though or because having babies was easy for them dont realise it isnt easy for all.

Sometimes I wonder if my mother and mil know how very little their opinion on this matter means to dh and I

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joeee For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an only child and we have one child.

Our daughter was conceived after a traumatic loss for me & we had just decided to take babies off the agenda. We were blessed with her!

I had a smooth pregnancy, 12hr labour which resulted in an early morning c-section and easy recovery so when we say we won't be having any more people are horrified.

I get comments from my extended family about our baby being a 'spoilt brat' and she needs someone to play with. Then I remind them who they are talking to and they still say oh but you are different LOL..

Randoms are always asking when the next one is coming and I just smile & walk away now.

I have never wished I had a sibling, never been lonely and loved being an only child. My mum was a young single mum who worked hard for what we had and made sure I wasn't a "spoilt brat". People are actually surprised that I'm an only child. I don't get that.

I love my own company and I love being social! I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wissa For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeee View Post

I didn't really say much, tbh I'm in such a vulnerable place right now that I didn't have the energy to get into anything. It is also someone I love dearly who said it but they just have no idea what they are actually talking about. I just wish I could take everything people say with a grain of salt.
    Good luck with your upcoming birth