+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have one 3yo DS. most days I think I am done then other days I say no I want another one. It's hard. I definitely feel pressure though (particularly from MIL) to have another one. I also have health issues myself that could affect my decision to have another.

Do any of you ladies find there are any disadvantages to just one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im an only child.... and loved it

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (14-06-2014),PippaG  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't call it a disadvantage but I think the lack of company is what I think DS would miss out on - I see all my friends with 2 or more and just the fact they always have someone to play with or talk to or just hang out with - DS is great at playing by himself and is never bored but I know what it's like to grow up with siblings and I hate I can't give him that experience - but I'm lucky he is very close to his cousins so I try make up for it that way as we are always together and thankfully are all very close

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 19 months, and I'm not sure where we sit atm. Before she was born I wanted 2 or 3...that dropped to 2 once she was born, and now I'm considering not having another.

It's crazy the social pressure not only to have children, but to have a certain number of children. Seriously - what the hell!? Yes, we should all create new people because we're weird/selfish/misguided if we don't.

Some points in favour of only children:
    http://offbeatfamilies.com/2010/06/w...en-are-awesome
    Lots of the interesting discussion is in the comments.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dd 2.5 yrs is an only child. We were trying for no 2 for almost a year but have recently found out dd has an autoimmune disease. Until we know exactly what we are dealing with and how severe it is we have out ttc on hold. If it turns out to be a serious issue then I definitely only want one child so I can give her all the attention she needs. We haven't told any friends or family about what's happening as we want to wait Til we know more so I feel so frustrated when people are always asking when we are having another. What's wrong with one child? I dont feel like im missing out at all! Some people are so insensitive, I had one friend make a comment when my dd was having a little tantrum "O she needs a sibling, it's cos she is an only child" it's so rude. Kids are kids, whether they are only children or from big families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there! We only have DS and have never planned for another, I do get the odd comment that he needs a sibling for company, dos'nt bother me too much though as I was an only child and have never felt lonely or the desire for a sibling.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Hi there! We only have DS and have never planned for another, I do get the odd comment that he needs a sibling for company, dos'nt bother me too much though as I was an only child and have never felt lonely or the desire for a sibling.
    It's nice to hear from an only child that you weren't lonely. I'm happy to have one child as long as she never feels lonely.. That's my only fear.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is only 8 months but I would be perfectly happy to not have any more. DH wants another so we will probably have #2 but I would be content with just the one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of the old opinions regarding only children being lonely is misleading anyway. There has literally been several hundred studies done that show only children are no different than their peers.

Sure, some felt lonely, but so do some kids who have siblings!

Apparently studies have shown differences in intelligence though, interestingly.... Just had a little google... Only children do better in the educational ranks. That personally wouldn't influence me though, I'm just having the one child because that's what I feel was meant for me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only have one. I was single from day one and I never met anyone and I am too old now.

I am getting better at accepting it now though and I work hard to make sure ds isn't lonely .