+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC - how much baby stuff do you already have?

Just a question - if & when DH & I finally have a baby I'll be stopping work for at least 6 months or so. I only work part time on a casual contract so once I stop that's it for one of our incomes. As such I'm telling myself it's better to get some big ticket items now while we still have 2 incomes & no outgoings as far as Dr's fees etc. BUT I can't help but wonder if I'm counting my chickens so to speak! I already have children from my first marriage but the youngest is 9 this year so now baby things at our place! Anyone else get in early for baby goods or are you waiting for the BFP (or even 12 or 20 weeks etc)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I collected baby things for years before we started TTC. Just things that were on sale and/ or I knew they wouldn't be around by the time it came for us to buy baby things. We ended up not spending so much while I was pregnant because I'd spread some of the cost out over a couple of years, especially with MCNs.

I think it's a good idea personally

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did exactly the same thing my ds is 6 yrs and no baby stuff in our house
    I've been collecting for about 2 yrs now - cupboard full!!!
    Stuff that's practical / on sale etc
    Me personally haven't purchased the prams / car seats etc cause there's always new safer models but if you buy all the bits and pieces now then when it comes time it will only be the car seat and pram etc !

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you feel you might jinx yourself by buying early, perhaps just save some extra money each week, so when the time comes you have some healthy savings to purchase baby items with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before ttc #1 I started gathering things on sale when we were taking about "when we decide"... For us this was 2 months before we started ttc. I only had a gorgeous cot blanket I loved, 5 bibs, 2 or 3 short sleeve no leg body suits, a cot sheet set, basinette mattress protectors, a baby rocker/bouncer seat, and an elmo cuddle rug I loved!

When I got my bfp (about 5weeks) I went crazy! Within 2 days I laybyd the pram and basinette, brought blankets, wraps, and a few onesies.

Sadly that bub didn't stick around, I lost it a few weeks later. We kept paying the layby, and suddenly our spare single bed was heaped with baby stuff. I couldn't bare going in there so closed the door....

8wks later I got another bfp, got 1 onsie, then was so scared to get anything.... At 11wks the baby monitor I wanted came on a huge sale! (40% off) and my mum told me to get it... I had a huge emotional meltdown about jinxing it if I did...but she talked sense into me and I got it. everything was fine!

This time, I have kept everything.... (ds is 3 next week) we have been ttc since he was 19mnths.

I have my shopping list (of wants) for #2...but won't buy them until I'm utd....but its not an awful lot.

New cot. (ds has ruined it)
    Ergo
    Booster seat for ds. bub will have his capsule and then his meridian, its less than 2yrs old.
    Basinette - maybe... We have ds's pram one.
    Baby swing, motorised one. I figure ill need somewhere for bub with ds being almost 4.

Depending howe long #2 takes, ds may already have his booster too

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not TTC now but while TTC our first I was dying to buy things. However I wouldn't let myself. Instead I had a little envelope next to the bed I would put savings into for when the time came. Ended up a little over $5k from putting aside $10-100 a week depending on what we could afford at the time.

I also kept a book of what I wanted and where from. The little things changed a lot when I realised I had money to get the nicer stuff but the big ticket items all stayed the same as I always wanted good quality.

We made our first big purchase of a cot at 7 weeks as the one I wanted was 40% off in a stocktake sale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We didn't buy anything before we go a BFP but did start saving for the big ticket items and to substitute my income as soon as we started TTC. That way warranties wouldn't expire while we were still trying and we wouldn't have to store it all. Plus I'm a bit of a believer in "jinxing it".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great self control ladies! Better than me mostly anyway!
    I guess the things I'm mostly considering (ok, ok & have bought a few of!) are 2nd hand bargains on eBay, gumtree etc. Having done the baby thing before & not being certain we'll have more than one I'm not going to get new things so am keen on snapping up a few goodies if they are too good to miss. The little fund idea is so great though.

Do you mostly go for new or 2nd hand when it comes to baby goods?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only ever got new.
    I wouldn't ever buy a 2nd hand car seat... But may consider 2nd hand from a friend or family.... Or for certain things....

But I've often found the basic (not nessicarily cheap) things better.....best example I brought 2 highchairs for ds's the first one on sale, 50%.... It laid back, moved up and down, done all these amazing things....but.....it was an absolute cow to clean, in under 12 months the cover cracked and got holes everywhere, and went festy, I'm sure it would have been very unhygienic!

We got a basic highchair-similar to ikea, less than the price we paid for the other on sale.... I love it!

The rocker I mentioned ($120), I hated and just wanted an old style crocheted type bouncer ($30 from baby shop) as the rocker never moved

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I researched so I knew what I wanted and what the price was. I then waited until my Bfp and if that item had a great sale I brought it.
    Just something to consider is warranties, my pram only has a 12 month one, I purchased when 4 months along, didn't really use it first few months, turns out it had an issue. I've got issue fixed but it does only have a few months left until it expires.
    Long story short had I purchased it earlier it would have been out of warranty.
    You're better off saving the cash or buying pre paid visa/ MasterCard vouchers.