+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That youtube video title is very inaccurate. Have a listen to how many 'ifs' he said in that answer. It was not coalition policy. He never said that that is what he would do. Nor did he say that he would support it.

In regard to that opinion piece. The quote: "I rule out a carbon tax" says it all.
    She did not have fold to the Greens in order to become the government. The Greens would never ever give their support to the Coalition, and by default, would always support a Labor government. Labor was stupid to not realise this, and to sign a marriage certificate with them and give them such power. And Labor has admitted that they should never had got into bed with the Greens. So yes. She did lie. And her excuse of blaming the Greens for it just shows how weak Labor was after the 2010 election not to be able to stand their ground with their pre-election promises.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Because you are in a minority government you can't just change your mind about it, now I think they are probably scared that they'll be accused of backflipping again so they are sticking to it. Also, I know this is hard for you to grasp - but there are actually people out there that think the carbon tax is a good thing. I know it's hard to believe, but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yes. Yes. How is that relevant to them not continuing with the plan to 'terminate' the carbon tax? You can't use that excuse for ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Because you are in a minority government you can't just change your mind about it, now I think they are probably scared that they'll be accused of backflipping again so they are sticking to it.
    But they are now backflipping the backflip. They just need to add a twist and it will be a very impressive dive!
    I just look forward to them going to the next election with a plan to bring it back (when it is finally gone). We'll watch what that does for their votes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Because you are in a minority government you can't just change your mind about it, now I think they are probably scared that they'll be accused of backflipping again so they are sticking to it. Also, I know this is hard for you to grasp - but there are actually people out there that think the carbon tax is a good thing. I know it's hard to believe, but it is true.
    They've not backflipped at all. The
    Labor Party said they would support them to scrap the carbon tax if they supported a renewable energy target, which the coalition haven't done, despite saying they would before the election. That is the reason labor won't support the repeal.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 23-03-2014 at 18:10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    They've not backflipped at all. The
    Labor Party said they would support them to scrap the carbon tax if they supported a renewable energy target, which the coalition haven't done, despite saying they would before the election. That is the reason labor won't support the repeal.
    Did you make that up? Do you have a source that says that that was the reason why they did not agree to scrapping it?

And which backflip were you referring? The one where Rudd said that Labor was going to 'terminate' the tax, or the one where they teamed up with the Greens in the Senate to vote against terminating it? Or did neither backflip exist??? Or did both of them??? My head hurts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    More useless legislation that cost us, but achieved nothing.

Below is a graph on minor's smoking, both before and after the introduction of the plain packaging laws by the previous government.
    http://www.econ.uzh.ch/static/workingpapers.php?id=828

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bahaha, after yesterday and all the things the government has decided to do - you are still focusing on the opposition. How strange you are. Do you know, I don't think I have ever, ever come across a positive post from you. I think secretly you quite like feeling negative and getting into arguments. It's your idea of fun isn't it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a positive post for you Beebs:

I'm so glad that the government has managed to stop asylum seeker deaths for more than 3 months. That has saved over 50 lives!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Here is a positive post for you Beebs:

I'm so glad that the government has managed to stop asylum seeker deaths for more than 3 months. That has saved over 50 lives!
    And how many have died that have been turned back or forced to go elsewhere- say so we here that isn't a signatory to the refugee convention?
    We can't know the answer for sure (nor can we know that 50 lives were saved, not for certain) but it's naive in the extreme to assume that this policy has not also potentially cost lives.