+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about your toddlers night terrors

DS went through a stage at around 18 months where he had night terrors for weeks, it mainly happene on his daycare days when he didn't have an Arvo nap, then they stopped and things were good.

He's now almost 3 and they are back. We recently had bub number 2 (about 4 weeks ago) and he's had a few the past month or two.

Yesterday he didn't sleep at daycare again so last night he had a massive one. He screamed and cried and kicked and hit and the more I tried to settle him the worse it got. It lasted about 40 mins and he got to the stage of coughing and almost vomiting as he cried and screamed so much.

I don't know how mic more I can handle of this. With a baby waking for feeds about 3/4 times a night and having this night terror happen and keep us awake and wake us up (pretty much as soon as we fall asleep ourselves) it's just so frustrating.

I get annoyed as there is nothingi can do to comfort him he also asks for things like a drink etc and as soon as I give it to him he will scream and say 'no go away mummy' and kick me etc. If I take the water away then he screams again wanting it. This also happens when he asks for a cuddle etc.

I know online it says to not touch them or talk to them but I can't help myself when hes practically having a fit in his bed and I'm worried he will hurt himself

Any tips on how to stop them from happening in the first place or managing them when they do happen to make them shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS1s were diet related so we just cut that food out and he was fine. Before we figured it out though we were just there for him during them, put him in a safe place and just sat with him. They are so hard huh

Me + DF
    DS1- Sep '07
    DS2- Nov '08
    DD- July '11
    Our family is complete!

Gestational Surrogate- FET#1 March '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are toeture! I'm normally such a patient person but I often forget that it's a night terror or I question if he's throwing a tantrum for attention iykwim

When they last more than 5 mins and se screaming the house down it's really frustrating when I can't comfort him. I feel useless

Wish I knew how to snap him out of it.

I don't think his are diet related as he eats pretty well and we hardly eat any processed food. I think his is when he's overtired but there may be other triggers too whic I dot know .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS1 had some fullblown ones when he was 16-18mths old- jut when DS2 arrived! with him, poor fellow, there was literally nothing we could do for him. He never spoke and it was like he wasn't even awake, but was screaming and crying and thrashing around, unable to be consoled... We used to take him downstairs and just wait it out until he recovered... My DD has had a few lately (she's 18 mths)- not as severe- she seems to 'wake up' quicker and snap out of it. We carry her outside into the fresh air and start pointing out stars and things like that- she loves being outside. Perhaps taking your little man outside could help, maybe offer some distraction? Just a suggestion... All the best, it is very stressful... x

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 had them for a while. My mum witnessed one and was horrified. A few things seem to have helped. My girls now share a room and as she is quite an anxious kid this has helped her relax. Also being over tired was a huge trigger so an earlier bed time of no later than 7.30 helped. She's only just 4 so I doubt they are over forever but for now they have settled a bit.
    Good luck! It is tough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had experience with night terrors personally but I've read that they can be brought on by being over tired. Could this be the case for your DS because he is not getting enough sleep at day care or the new bub is disrupting his sleep at night? I hope they stop for you soon. Must be so difficult with a newborn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had them horrible, most nights and she would scream and claw at anyone that tried to come near her. Everything she said was just mumbling that you couldn't understand. We found out her trigger was sugar, anything sugary after dinner as a treat was triggering them. We stopped that and now we don't get them.

One thing that you can try is to go in and gently rouse him from his sleep about 35-40min after he's gone to bed because then he will start a new sleep cycle and will hopefully miss the terror. It's worth a shot and we were doing it with DD until we found out her trigger.

Good luck they are horrible horrible things to have to go through, I'm so thankful that they don't remember them in the morning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has never had them but I did do a bit of reading about them. Apparently they generally happen about the same time of night. Is that true for your ds? If so they say to set your alarm and go in 10min or before it normally happens and wake them a bit. It's supposed to be quite successful to stop them altogether if you do this for a week or so.

Hope you find something that helps. Must be hard! Good luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to perth1sttimemum For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest daughter still gets them sometimes and she is 9 this year. It happens when she is over tired and hot. Like when it's summer and she had a long hot day at school then jumps into bed and pulls the blankets up to her neck with the fan on. It is scary, but it only lasts not more than 10 minutes. I just strip her down and tell her to go to sleep over and over. Eventually she falls back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, nights have been quite hot here so maybe that's another trigger