+ Reply to Thread
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Diabetes (type 2)!

My dh has recently found out he has type 2 daibetes so he will be controlling it with diet. So far we are not really on top of his foods and he has been really noticing the effects of some meals (last night we were naughty and had fish and chips and his bsl was very high afterward). So I would really appreciate any pointers, recipes, little pearls of wisdom.Thanks
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 11-03-2014 at 20:12.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing
    My brother was just diagnosed & I know my mum is having a hard time sorting out his diet

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Type 1 - so never diet controlled, but have a fairly good idea about nutrition.

Have a look at the symply too good to be true cook books. They're healthy alternatives to basic recipes, but they also have a nutritional guide so you can start to work out carb counting and healthy substitutions. There's a website too.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

Also would love to know about condiments - are there any sauces he can have, other than home made? Things like bbq and tomato sauce etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a referral to see a dietitian through GP chronic disease management plan. 5 free sessions per year funded by medicare.
    In the meantime have a look at the diabetes Australia and diabetes Queensland resources. Eg. http://www.diabetesqld.org.au/managi...-diabetes.aspx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fingerscrossedno2 For This Useful Post:

SHAELEEJANE  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only know a bit because I got gestational dib. It's all about the carbs.
    They recommend to have around 180 grams carbs a day. Fruit and vege have carbs. You need to look on Internet to work out how many carbs in fresh food but all bought packet foods will have carbs written on back.
    The bsl's should be done first thing in morn and 2 hrs after meals with no food in between. It takes a while but he will soon work out how much food he can get away with.
    Grainy bread is better
    Crumbed/battered fish two pieces would have around 28 grams. Potato is very high and so are bananas
    Sugary food is fine as long as carbs don't exceed what will bring a high reading
    Exercise is also great

BBQ sauce and tomato sauce are very high. I would go for grainy bread in morning. Red meat twice a week, fish 4 times a week with no chips, chicken, eggs, fruit and veges besides bananas and potato,
    Last edited by Kazza78; 06-03-2014 at 19:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely take PP suggestion and see a dietician.....it's essential.
    Other than that eat lean protein- chicken, red meats, eggs, protein powders, fish. Learn the fruits and veg which are higher carb then pack the diet full of the others. Pretty much cut out all take away and fatty foods and learn to cook everything!
    For pasta check out "slim noodles"- an awesome alternative with no carbs or sugar and play around with sauces and condiments-in moderation with a good diet they shouldn't be a problem.
    My dietician told me to not eat fish and chips! There is nothing good in it at all for you but a grilled piece of fish with a scallop and some salad might just wok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely see a dietician, and under the Medicare scheme you can also get a referral for exercise physiology to help you with exercise, which can really help to lower your BGL & HbA1C levels- especially weights in the gym. Diabetes Australia have heaps of resources on diet and are a great starting point

https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au...s/Eating-Well/

Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JFlee For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (09-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here is a list of 'free' foods. He needs to eat low gi foods. I also recommend seeing a dietician and an endocrinologist. My dh is type 1 and I have gestational diabetes again.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by cluckcluck; 07-03-2014 at 19:13.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (09-03-2014)