+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mirena Shock!

My DH & I don't use contraception, we're not TCC we just don't use it for religious reasons.

My mum however, has been using a Mirena and has been quite happy with it HOWEVER

She's 53 this year and almost due to have it replaced, the doctor recommended she replace it sooner rather then later because once she turns 55 the Mirena is considered hormone replacement (not a contraception) and therefore will cost her approx 6 times as much as it does now! For the exact same device! I told her I'll get the scripts if need be I can't understand this.

Why would they do this? Discrimination much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    My DH & I don't use contraception, we're not TCC we just don't use it for religious reasons.

My mum however, has been using a Mirena and has been quite happy with it HOWEVER

She's 53 this year and almost due to have it replaced, the doctor recommended she replace it sooner rather then later because once she turns 55 the Mirena is considered hormone replacement (not a contraception) and therefore will cost her approx 6 times as much as it does now! For the exact same device! I told her I'll get the scripts if need be I can't understand this.

Why would they do this? Discrimination much?
    Probably because at 55 it's practically impossible to fall pregnant naturally and without the mirena in she would be going into natural menopause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mirena is subsidised by the government, (Medicare), for contraceptive purposes. Once a woman has reached the age of 55 it is no longer subsidised as pregnancy is very unlikely.
    I don't see this as discrimination.
    Edit to add: there are some HRT medications that are subsidised so if your mother wanted to continue for this reason perhaps she could see see doctor about those.
    Last edited by JustUsTwo; 06-03-2014 at 14:58.