View Poll Results: Do you allow you kids to play in the car supervised/unsupervised?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.00%
  • No

19 95.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I don't, I often tell my kids how cars are expensive and they need to treat it nicely - don't open doors on other cars etc. I got my first ever brand new car when DD was a baby so I probably was a bit strict on it becuase of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No! DD was playing in my car when I was vacuuming it out one day and she managed to put $26 worth of gold and silver coins into the CD player slot and I had no radio/stereo for weeks until I got it fixed....$26!!!!!!!! Apparently a new record at the car service department Lol...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    No I don't, I often tell my kids how cars are expensive and they need to treat it nicely - don't open doors on other cars etc. I got my first ever brand new car when DD was a baby so I probably was a bit strict on it becuase of it.
    Good point! We have brand new cars which are well looked after, we take good care of our things because we've worked so darn hard for them. We teach our kids to respect property too because it costs money particularly our cars. The kids aren't allowed to play in the cars in any circumstances, not even if outside with us when we are doing the fortnightly clean. It's a no go zone! We always keep our cars locked when parked at home too. What if one of the kids got into the car when playing outside and got locked in there unable to get out? Eeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep! My son takes me for 'drives'. I sit in the passenger seat, he plays with the steering wheel and narrates the trip. Obviously the keys aren't in the ignition and he knows he isn't allowed to touch the handbreak or gearstick. He also likes to sit on my lap and turn the wipers on/spray water. Obviously I wouldn't let him play in it unsupervised. My dad snuck into his father's car when he was little, took the handbreak off and the car rolled backwards into a bus. He was fine, just a little unpopular with his parents at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    In our old car, yes. It was a cheap crappy car.

New car, no way. We waited years to be able to afford this car and its got leather seats, a perfect paintjob etc. My DH is a panel beater and painter so can be fixed easily but I'd rather not have to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did kind of but never again.

I was cleaning my car when I was 8 months pregnant with dd. Ds (almost 5) was sitting in the passenger side. I was getting things under the seats and felt the car roll backward in our driveway. Not a steep slope and luckily the street was quiet that day. I managed to dive in and pull the handbrake on. The car was only just out on the road but it gave me the shock of my life. Ds hadn't even noticed and was confused why mum was diving headfirst into the car. Ds had been told to never touch the handbrake but I guess he forgot Scared me shizless. I cried for a good 5 minutes. Never ever ever again. If I had been taking things into the garage and had turned away for a second it could have been a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. When I was ten a 4 year got into the my brother's open car to play & somehow let the handbrake off. The car went down the driveway across the road & into the neighbour's car, pushing their car through the carport & into the swimming pool. The little boy was fine. Whilst we still laugh about it, it could have been a tragic ending.
    I don't think many P platers understand that a car can be a deadly machine, so how can we expect children to understand, especially if we let them play in the car.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    No. I've never even considered it, and I wouldn't actually allow it.

I was friends with a girl in primary school and her toddler sister got into the family car which was parked at the top of their steep driveway, somehow released the handbrake and the car rolled down the drive and smashed into the front of the house across the road. Sounds like a tall story now that I think about it, but it did actually happen!

Amazingly the child wasn't badly injured.
    This happened to a little girl in Dd's class last year. Her mum told her to go and wait in the car for school. She somehow ended up smashing the cari into neighbours garage. It could have been far worse.
    i never let my children play in cars, i have heard way to many horror stories about them getting forotten etc and the child dying ( just on the news ir in a blogs etc, not personal experience)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hasn't crossed my mind, but no I don't think I would. Maybe with an older kid in certain circumstances? Seems like too many opportunities for harm.

I remember going car shopping with a friend's family when we were about 11. We had a fantastic time playing in a van while her mum talked to the dealer. Could be great fun, but I'd rather not encourage the idea of a car being a toy. They're expensive, can be dangerous, and I think kids can get the same kind of play opportunities in other ways. Wouldn't bother be if other people did though, unless the car was parked on a slope etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not really, The other day i let them sit in the front seat for a few minutes while we talked to the owners of the unit next to ours, because it's a brother and sister who own the front and back units, and I didn't want Katelyn to chuck a massive tantrum in front of the "owners" (obviously it's not like they can evict us for having a willful toddler, but I still felt self conscious... so I waited until they weren't there to take her inside quickly, she didn't shriek too much lol) I was standing right next to her with the door open while she pretended to drive the car.

Otherwise - no.