View Poll Results: Do you allow you kids to play in the car supervised/unsupervised?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.00%
  • No

19 95.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wondering what clasifies as "playing in the car".

DS had to come with me to soccer training on several occassions. It was late at night and in winter so I would pack the back of the car (a wagon, Xtrail so big boot) with blankets and pillows, park the car with the boot facing the feilds, leave the boot open and he would sit and do his homework, eat dinner and play his ipad. He was 7 at the time and there were strict instructions that he was not to climb over the seats. Obviously I could see him at all times, there were my team mates parents near and around and I had the keys with me.

Is that "playing"? Not sure, but other than that- no. I'm too protective of my car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlicken79 View Post
    No way, why would you? There's a difference to kids sitting in car if you're cleaning it, that's not really playing IMO
    See I would call this playing in the car....unless they are actually just sitting (which would never happen with my toddlers). When I said my DD played in the car I meant she sat in the passenger or driver seat playing with the visor/glove box....until she found the random button to lock the door

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not sure what you mean by play??

I mean, DD and I sit in the car for about 20 minutes when waiting for DS to finish school and she climbs between he back and front and we read and play games....but, not as in "playing driving the car".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlicken79 View Post
    No way, why would you? There's a difference to kids sitting in car if you're cleaning it, that's not really playing IMO
    My little one actually plays in the car when I'm cleaning it....its a van type car and when all the seats are folded down or taken out it has heaps of room. She will get in and out and muck about so I do consider that to be playing. But that's the only time I allow it and she's fully supervised. I don't allow doors to be opened and closed...doors stay open.

I only clean my car two-three times per yr so it's not a regular thing...more like a treat lol!
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 06-03-2014 at 11:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls never just play around in the car. I get to school some days 30 mins before pick up and my girls will play in the car with me in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH would let DD play in the car from about 4. I would spit it when I'd find out because he has nurofen in the console and she'd play in the front seat.

A friend of an old boss had their 2 year old start a fire in their car. She'd left him in there when she popped into a shop and he was trying to light a cigarette like mummy does. I think my head nearly exploded at how many things were wrong with this scenario! And before you start picturing a feral in their magna with mismatched paintwork - no, this was in a range rover. As the saying goes, dollars can't buy you sense.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got rear ended by someone who left an unrestrained child in the car while they "popped" in to the shop. The cars were parked on a hill and the child released the handbrake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    God no. That's stupidity!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, not unless I am cleaning out the car or we are waiting in it before school pick up.

Me + DF
    DS1- Sep '07
    DS2- Nov '08
    DD- July '11
    Our family is complete!

Gestational Surrogate- FET#1 March '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went family car shopping a few yrs ago and was shocked at the amount of child abuse cars have taken....felt pen drawn all over the interior, kids names or initials scratched into the panels...food scraps inbetween seats...
    Cars are expensive and certainly not toys.