+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thumbs down Toddler night wakings are driving me crazy!

So it started off with DS sleeping all night in his toddler bed, which amazed us... to then him waking at about 3am and crawling in bed with us and sleeping until the alarm goes off, and NOW he is waking and coming in, climbing in bed and wanting to be silly and muck around! He refuses to lay down and sleep with us. When I ask him to he says "No mum" and if i try to just go back to sleep he starts pulling my hair, hitting me in the head.... sometimes he'll bite me. He doesn't do it to DH, ONLY me!

Last night was really bad - he kept me up for 3 hours, and I am newly pregnant and already fed up with this behavior!

What can i do about it though? he is also every night refusing to stay in bed, he will get up about 30 times and ill just keep repeatedly putting him back to bed. Its exhausting, he's quite a heavy toddler so tonight since I am newly pregnant and didn't want to strain anything i put him to bed, kissed him goodnight said I loved him, he came out once - so i put him back then closed the door and held it shut. He tried to open it and cried for about 5 mins and then gave up and put himself to bed. I felt terrible for it, but I am feeling at a loss.

Now the night time wakings are an issue... i feel tempted to actually lock him in his bedroom, but also don't want to as id hate for him to not be able to come to me when he needs me. So i wont. Please don't flame me for saying that either, I am not actually doing it - I am feeling desperate though as I have a **** customer service job and working it while tired is a killer.

Surely im not the only one going through this though - any tips??
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 05-03-2014 at 20:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you put him back in the cot? My ds is around the same age and still in the cot. We'll transition him closer to 2.5yrs.
    When my boys come into our bed (they're 4yrs and 2yrs), they flake it, so I can't offer advice there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    He tried to open it and cried for about 5 mins and then gave up and put himself to bed.
    I do this now with our son (1.5yrs). I only have to do it a few nights in a row and then he goes down straight away. But then we have a late night or some other interruption and we're back to crying at bedtime. If, when I leave the bedroom, he starts crying, I look at the clock and give him five minutes. I usually go back in after 2mins to resettle him, and check his nappy, but if I leave him for 5mins he usually does exactly as you describe, gives up (stops crying) and goes to bed. He's in a toddler bed so can get out of bed and to the door but he hasn't figured out how to open the door yet - we have the round/knob handles.

As for early mornings... This morning - no idea what time but it was dark - he tried to climb into bed with me. I said to him that it's still dark, the sun hasn't come up yet, and put him back (his bed is next to ours). He went back without complaint. We use sun up and sun down as cues. So he knows that he can join mummy in bed when the sun starts coming up. Could that work for you?
    Last edited by debsch; 06-03-2014 at 10:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did this and it finally worked it out that she came in "because she could" ie in a cot she couldn't.
    We put a "princess" net over her bed, and she never got up again. Maybe they feel more secure in cot/our bed/netted in?
    I've had friends put a child safety gate at their toddlers door as they didn't want them wandering around at night near top of stairs, they've found them a few times asleep by the gate. I'll prob get slammed for saying so, but you could try that?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Anther idea- if he is only doing it to you, if you have another bed in the house could you spend a few nights in that? That say when your ds goes into your room he will only find your dh, who can then put him back in hi own bed? Kids I find have different boundaries with the secondary parent (the one not at home all day, or usually the father etc) and won't push as much as they will with their primary.
    A few nights of that and you should be right to go back to sleeping in your own bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know everyone has there own parenting techniques and sometimes we reach a point were we are so tired it's hard to cope, but I feel it's sad that the door is held shut for those only 1.5-2.5 yrs old. Poor poppets.
    Even though they go back to bed, studies have shown the rise in the stress hormone is still there as they are stressed when they return to bed.
    If you read the benefits of Cosleeping (even another bed in your room if it fits) just think the opposite of those benefits when you hold the door shut.

I know it must be difficult when he doesn't want to sleep once in your bed (wants to play). I hope it works out for you soon

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f.../t-460346.html
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f.../t-486284.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Anther idea- if he is only doing it to you, if you have another bed in the house could you spend a few nights in that? That say when your ds goes into your room he will only find your dh, who can then put him back in hi own bed? Kids I find have different boundaries with the secondary parent (the one not at home all day, or usually the father etc) and won't push as much as they will with their primary.
    A few nights of that and you should be right to go back to sleeping in your own bed.
    Dh has to see to our Ds2. If I go in he cries more, if Dh goes in he falls back asleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try a momo clock? They are these really cute clocks with a monkey who sits on the top and you can set an 'alarm' for when momo can wake up and open his eyes. We introduced one to DS when he was 2.5 and getting out of bed wayyyyyy to early. I know it's a diff scenario to yours, but it really worked well for us. We involve saying goodnight to momo with our goodnight routine - kiss and cuddle and press the button to close momo eyes. And if small person wakes up and sees that momo's eyes are shut, he knows that it's still night time and has to stay in bed. We set momo to open his eyes at 7.15am. Sleeeeppppp. We are on holidays at the moment and it's not working. But it does when we are at home!
    You must be exhausted. Prego bad sleep teamed with cheeky toddler awake overnight.
    I hope something works for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our toddler did the same thing except he wouldn't come into our bed, just to our room. We just got up and said 'no, bedtime' and took him back to bed. No other words were spoken.

After a couple of weeks he got the idea.

As for not wanting to go to bed in the first place, same thing. Just say 'no it's bedtime now, goodnight and take him back to bed' repeat as many times as necessary but don't talk to them after the first say one or two times. One night we took DS back like 20 times but it did work.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going through the same thing. I'm pretty sure with my DS it's because he's used to waking up from a nap and getting to play etc before bedtime. The days where we are extra active so he does have a nap because he's worn out, bedtime is later than no nap days but its a breeze and he stays asleep. Perhaps try getting your LO to nap again but push bedtime back an hour or so to compensate?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app