+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby refusing breastfeeds

DS is almost 9 months old and loves his solids, but the last few days he has been pretty much refusing to breastfeed unless he is starving, or half asleep.

He has his first morning feed without too many dramas although once he is properly awake he doesn't seem to want to feed, he will latch on for about 20 seconds then let go, and that will go on until he starts getting cranky and refuses all together. This has been the case for all his feeds after the first one, unless he is feeding to sleep (which he rarely wants to do anymore).

I usually try to do breast milk first then maybe an hour or so later he has solids. Should I be giving him less solid food? Today he barely had anything for lunch (he had refused all his feeds again so I thought I'd hold back on the solids and see if he'd feed) and later in the afternoon he finally got cranky and decided to have a feed but he must have been starving by then.

I went back to work recently, only a couple of shifts each week at most but this weekend I was away from him for about 5 hours each day from Friday through to Monday. He only usually has one bottle of EBM in that time usually and one solid meal, and I feed and pump as soon as I get home. But I'm worried that having a bottle every day has affected him somehow.

Any suggestions? He's way too young to wean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could he be teething? Dd went on mini nursing strikes when teething as it was uncomfortable to suck.
    Solids before breast milk at 9 months is fine, and I wouldn't be too concerned about trying cutting back on solids, an hour in between offering should be fine too I'd you wish to continue to offer milk first
    Eta: how many breast feeds a day are you offering? Most are happy at that age with only 3
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-03-2014 at 19:59.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has af returned yet? My ds went through a few days of refusal about a week before af came back....

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    AF returned when he was 2 months old and I don't think he even notices it when it comes.
    Could be teeth, he just finished cutting two but I guess the next ones could be on their way already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say, he gets offered feeds probably 5 times a day and he still wakes up for a feed at least once a night. I don't really keep track of it, I just offer when he seems like he needs it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pregnant?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Beta For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is just how ds weaned himself dropped feeds and kept refusing i didn't push it he was 10 months. Kept offering it and he took less and less and just refused all together.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Pregnant?!
    Pretty much impossible

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son went through the same thing at the same age, sometimes refusing feeds altogether. It lasted about a month but I kept offering and when he hit 10 months he decided he wanted it again. Id just keep offering, this might be the beginning of the end but it also might just be a phase.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this happen numerous times with my daughter (now 17 months). My best advice is to keep offering, no pressure, and he'll probably come back to it. He's old enough to have water so he can get hydration there, and he's unlikely to starve himself.

The worst with my daughter (some may remember my thread regarding it) was when she went a week with only 1 tiny (30 second) feed at about 12 months. I kept expressing for supply, and after a week - overnight - she went from absolutely hysterical at the sight of a breast to "GIMME!".

I know quite a few people who have had this happen and have considered it their bubs weaning themselves, and stopped BF there. That's one option, but if you don't want to give it up then they generally come around.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (06-03-2014)