+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so lucky not to have had mastitis (yet, touch wood), even though the thrush is bloody awful!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey mam83, I've been exclusively expressing for 4.5 months now. I have to say it is so much harder than giving formula and direct latching due to the amount of additional work such as sterilizing etc. I used to pump 3 hourly in the first two months then drop to 4 hourly. Milk supply is good at 1-1.2l but I am very prone to mastitis, I've had 4 so far and it seems to come back every 2 weeks. I had a preemie and she was tube fed then bottle fed at the hospital so she didn't like to latch on and work for her milk when I brought her home, and when I finally got her to latch on, she would fall asleep at the breast after 10 mins so it was a struggle to feed her. I turned to pumping and in glad I found madela double pump. I had initially used a hand me down avent single pump and was spending 1.5 hours each session in the initial stages to get 60mls of milk! Needless to say, I felt like a dairy cow attach to the milking station all the time. Now it takes me half hour to drain both breast and I've bought a hands free bra so I can do other things whilst expressing. Everytime I have mastitis my milk supply goes down by half and I'll have to give DD frozen milk. I intend to do this for another 1.5 months until she's 6 months old before weaning her off as I need to go back to work and will be traveling. It is a commitment because you can't go anywhere longer than 3 hours and you'll still need to get up at night to pump even though the baby is sleeping through, but it's all worth it as nothing can really replace bm if you can give your child that. Good luck with your journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply!!
    Unfortunately I dried up about 4 weeks ago almost completely. So I've stopped. Thankfully I still have frozen milk so I'm giving him a few a week. I tell you though, he is thriving on the formula! He obviously needed it! Put on a kg in a fortnight! Much healthier now! good luck!!