+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exclusive pumping?

Hi there!

Any other mums exclusively pumping due to inability to breastfeed?
    I never expected to have an issue breastfeeding but we had massive trouble due to my flat sensitive nipples, but more annoyingly I was on a lot of intravenous antibiotics due to a perineum infection after birth and he has subsequently developed resistant oral thrush that we CANNOT get rid of!! And I had it in my nipples once, never again!!

So I have been pumping every 3 hours for the past 2 and a half months to give him my breastmilk. Thankfully he has cut down a bit on the milk intake so I have been able to manage with 5 pumps a day now.

Any other mums in the same boat??
    Thought the breastfeeding section was the right place for this as even though he drinks it from a bottle, it's 100% breastmilk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I exclusively pumped with DD (numerous issues which resulted in her rejecting the boob and insisting on the bottle) and lasted until 7 months when I switched to formula. I found pumping a really hard slog to be honest, and really struggled to keep my supply up which meant I ended up formula feeding her 50% of the time at 4 months. How are you finding your supply is going? Good on you for giving your bubba breast milk despite your challenges, I know how hard pumping 24/7 can be!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

mam83  (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried with dd2. I never had trouble feeding my older 2 children but for some reason I just couldn't feed her. I lasted 6 weeks. It was tough, especially with 2 other kids to look after. If I wasn't feeding I was pumping or cleaning/sterilising bottles and the pump.

Good on you for doing it for so long

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah sterilising gets a bit annoying! I bought an extra pump set at least so it's not quite so bad.

Yeah my supply is ok. They expected me to have a supply problem and I did at the start! Took 8 days just for my milk to come in, and a few weeks more to actually have enough to feed him without formula top ups. With the help of cookies, tea and fenugreek I now make about 800-1000ml a day depending on how many times I pump, and I have about 2L in the freezer. He drinks anywhere from 600-1000 a day so I have enough.. Haven't needed to top him up with formula for a long time.

Oh I don't know how anyone could do it with other children!! Sooo hoping I will be able to successfully breast feed number 2!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I said to my DH if I had the same problems feeding with the second as I did with DD then I couldn't possibly express feed because it would be just too hard with a toddler to entertain. Luckily everything went fine with breast feeding DS so I didn't have to worry. I have to admit I never sterilised any bottles. Just used the bottle brush and boiling water from the kettle. Neither of my two got sick from doing this. I also ate the biscuits and fenugreek tablets but DD was a very hungry baby - by 3 months she wanted 1200ml a day and I couldn't keep up, I even tired motilium (on prescription) which helped for awhile. So glad I didn't have to worry about all that with DS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I thought mine was hungry at 1000!! good on u though! Thanks for the hope! Really hope I can bf the next!
    Last edited by mam83; 08-03-2014 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I full time pumped for my first DD, as we had major attachments issues.
    I had major over-supply issues. I could pump 300ml per breast every 3 hours, so needless to say i never had to give formula as i had plenty of milk.
    I stopped pumping at 5 months- although at four months i started, as it was a slow process to wean myself. I had enough frozen breast milk for another 2/3 months then i changed to formula- I was proud of my efforts.
    It is ALOT of hard work and some days i hated it and other times i enjoyed the ease of having a bottle fed baby but knowing she was still getting the best milk.

I also got mastitis ALOT- 6 times in the 5 months, just due to oversupply and the pump not being able to completely empty the breasts.

I have now got a second child who i am successfully breastfeeding and although i am so glad to not be attached to the pump. I miss the ease of being able to make my husband get up to feed the baby in the night but i don't miss the hours of washing bottles and pumps.

You are doing a great job!

if you have any questions- please ask

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

mam83  (22-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I successfully breastfeed my fist, but my six week Prem second son had no idea how to feed. Took us a week to get him to suck on a teat. So I expressed full time for eight weeks. I felt like a jersey cow. Having a one year old made it almost impossible, and then a serious bout of mastitis finished it off for us. I'm impressed at those who lasted so long. It's an exhausting routine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls!!

Good going mandmbaby!!! Wow yes 300 per breast is HUGGGGE!!!! Man you must have needed a dedicated milk freezer!!! Haha!!

For some reason in the last week my milk supply has totally dropped off. My right breast which usually drains at least 60-100mL per feed barely gets to 40 now. Lefty isn't going too bad, but my supply has dropped off so much I don't have enough to feed him. I've tried everything, pumping more, fenugreek, beer, cookies.... I think I'm starting to dry up. I'm going to have to slowly introduce a formula feed a day or two. I don't want to use up all my frozen stores already. I have developed a nasty case of nipple thrush AGAIN ( strange cause he hasn't bf for months so I have no idea how I got it) and its sooooo painful!! Hoping that once the medication settles that down more, then I will increase my supply again. I hope!! I'm so sick of struggle street!!!

I am proud of what I have done so far too, I just really wanted to make it to 6 months. Doubting that will happen now. Hopefully I can at least give him some breast milk till then...