+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Single umbilical artery - seeking positive experiences?

I found out yesterday that my
    belly bub has a single umbilical artery. The scan was otherwise healthy apparently, but my Ob wants to keep a close eye on growth in the third trimester.

I made the mistake of visiting Dr google and am stressing that she'll be ok. Would love to hear some experiences? And hopefully some positive ones?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont google! I did the same thing and freaked out!
    My DD is now 4 and had SUA picked up at 12 weeks and I had the wait until morph scan at 18 weeks wondering what else was wrong
    There was talk part way through of growth retardation, being early and small.
    I had fortnightly growth scans from 28 weeks....she was born at 41 weeks, 4kg and 97th percentlie for everything! The only part they got right was more chance of a girl with SUA apparently....well there was 50% chance of that anyway ;o)

its hard not to worry but in my case it made no difference whatsover
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had his with DD1 and as my dr told me it was ok and to just have a few extra scans... I never googled, thank god!

She was born at 38 weeks, perfectly healthy and a really decent size, 3.7kg.

Try to stay off google and just go for the extra scans, I have heard all positive stories from other people who have been through the same thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

my 4 year old DD had a SUA, picked up at 18 week scan. Everything else looked good, but she always measured small and was 2.7 kg at birth. We also had low PApp-a at the nt scan, did you have that also?

All was good, however we found out about 16 months later that she has congenital scoliosis and a mild rectal malformation, which are all aspects of a condition called Vater/Vacterl. She is doing really well, you wouldn't tell from looking at her, in fact most doctors can't even pick it up.

Most people I have heard with SUA have had that as their only abnormality. We received extra scans because of her smallness but the blood flow was never restricted in her other artery.

Good luck, feel free to ask any questions. I remember our ob being very carefree about the whole thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone good to hear some positives!

We didn't get the NT scan, but were assured there were no worrying markers at the 20 week scan, just the cord.
    Hopefully they're right and she's fine, she has two big brothers so excited to meet her.

After a stressful pregnancy last time would love this one to go smoothly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of us have DDs so that part is correct. When your have your DD look at the belly button stump once the cord is cut. My DDs single artery was very obvious - was really thick. One Dr commented that perhaps her single one was 2 fused together. Also said who knows how many of us were born with only 1....the technology to watch blood flow through the umbilical cord is only about 10 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had SUA. I had extra ultrasounds at 28, 32, and 36 weeks. Maybe 38 as well actually. They had warned me that if her growth slowed I would be induced, but that didn't happen thankfully. I was monitored very regularly during labour. All was well , she was born healthy, albeit a little small; 6lb 7oz. She had a renal ultrasound as a newborn, can't remember exactly what age, maybe 4 weeks. All was well there as well.
    She is now a healthy 8yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's true Karen, its the technology now that let's us know and stress about things we would have been blissfully ignorant about years ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know 2 people who had this with their bubs (one boy and one girl) and both babies were totally fine. One was born very close to term with average birth weight and the boy was a scheduled cs for other reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankfully I didn't find out till the birth. As an ivf bub (9th cycle) & me nearly 40, I would have been stressed beyond belief. I was already with 2 miscarriages preceding her. She was born at 38+3 weighing 6oz1. When I found out at the birth about the SUA, I was so relieved she came early. We had to also have the renal ultrasound before we could be discharged so she was only 5 days old. All good though & she's nearly 2 now I think it is usually ok & very rarely something more serious