+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vaccine halves cervical cancer risk

The international media is reporting on an Australian research study that shows a full course of Gardisal halves the risk of cervical cancer, as the Brisbane Times put it. The research has just been published in the British Medical Journal (the PDF can be downloaded from here), and provides the first truly definitive study of the real-world effectiveness of the vaccine.

Given these results in would be truly irresponsible if parents did not ensure their children were vaccinated when they started high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I shared this link on my timeline... My step mother had this to say;

"Interesting.... Considering that the Pap smear has been shown to be unreliable in detection...false positive and totally not detecting cancer in many cases, that they could reach such conclusions - the vaccine is effective?. Flawed test measure - flawed study.

It's hard to agree with the conclusions when the test measure has been shown to be unreliable. Most important aspect of research is reliability and validity. This fails on both counts irrespective of the subject / topic"

Does anyone have any links refuting her claim that Pap tests are not accurate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've copy/pasted this from the article- there are some bias's with this study (note the bolded bit) so I remain unconvinced and happy to stay one of those "truly irresponsible" parents. My kids, both boys AND girls will not be getting it.

Competing interests: All authors have completed the ICMJE uniform disclosure form at www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf (available on request from the corresponding author) and declare: no support from any organisation for the submitted work. SBL has received research grants, travel funds, and payments from Merck, GSK, and BioCSL. JMLB has been a co-investigator on Australian HPV epidemiology grants that have received partial unrestricted funding from BioCSL and Merck. The University of Queensland receives royalties from the sale of Gardasil (Merck).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know about studies, but I'm sure glad my pap smear detected abnormal cells. They were already at the pre-cancer stage based on further investigation and biopsy and then I got them nuked before it went cancerous.

It will be interesting to see in quite a few years time how effective the vaccine is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    I shared this link on my timeline... My step mother had this to say;

"Interesting.... Considering that the Pap smear has been shown to be unreliable in detection...false positive and totally not detecting cancer in many cases, that they could reach such conclusions - the vaccine is effective?. Flawed test measure - flawed study.

It's hard to agree with the conclusions when the test measure has been shown to be unreliable. Most important aspect of research is reliability and validity. This fails on both counts irrespective of the subject / topic"

Does anyone have any links refuting her claim that Pap tests are not accurate?
    These are just bald and rather vacuous assertions. Difficult to respond to claims that lack content and cite no evidence.

On a general note, wherever effective Pap smear programs have been introduced cervical cancer rates has fallen by 50-80%.

Pap tests will not detect adenocarcinoma, which accounts for about 15% of all cervical cancers, but that's not the issue here.

This was a case-control study of detected cervical abnormalities correlated with vaccination status. So the reliability of Pap tests is not an issue given the study design.
    Last edited by JohnC; 05-03-2014 at 17:27.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2014),bhjules  (05-03-2014),just her chameleon  (05-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    These are just bald and rather vacuous assertions. Difficult to respond to claims that lack content and cite no evidence.

On a general note, wherever effective Pap smear programs have been introduced cervical cancer rates has fallen by 50-80%.

Pap tests will not detect adenocarcinoma, which accounts for about 15% of all cervical cancers, but that's not the issue here.

This was a case-control study of detected cervical abnormalities correlated with vaccination status. So the reliability of Pap tests is not an issue given the study design.
    Thanks John, I wish I was more confident and knowledgeable on the topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjules View Post
    Don't know about studies, but I'm sure glad my pap smear detected abnormal cells. They were already at the pre-cancer stage based on further investigation and biopsy and then I got them nuked before it went cancerous.
    Yes, two of my friends had exactly the same thing happen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

bhjules  (05-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh lord. Just because people receive funding to to research work - remember these are all scientist looking for answers, does not automatically mean they are lying just to sell a product. :roll eyes:

Other than that - great news! I'd never thought I'd see the day when people would find fault with a vaccine that actually reduces cancer rates. Incredible.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-03-2014),BettyW  (05-03-2014),JohnC  (05-03-2014),JR03  (05-03-2014),Lauzy  (05-03-2014),Wally90  (05-03-2014),Witwicky  (05-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My Mum had stage 4 cervical cancer and was given 3 months to live, however fortunately she survived and is now ok. Her Cervical cancer was not a direct result of HPV which can often be the cause of cervical cancer etc. As a result, my sister and I have to have yearly pap smears (which we do) and I am not anti-vax, however, like Roopee, I will not be allowing my 4 daughters to have the Gardisal Vax, so I guess I'm an irresponsible parent too, however.. I will be teaching them about sexual health so that they will be well aware of HPV and other sexual health issues and hope that they are responsible for their sexual health choices etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Uniquey - are there specific reasons why you would't allow your daughters to get it? Or just more of a gut feeling thing?