+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Red face My child has no future prospects ...

... because he cannot yet stack those stupid rings or sort plastic shapes through holes.

I am a horrible mother!

So, some context for the melodrama. I get weekly updates from a baby app for DS for his milestones and stuff. Nothing particularly surprising. There are polls and points and discussion and it's a nice little distraction for my morning.

Anyway, I usually click on the age group discussions and, quite frankly, I'm starting to feel a little inferior! I understand that people tend to put their best foot forward in this sort of forum, and perhaps might even (oh noes!) exaggerate their child's abilities, but I'm reading about 16 month olds who are speaking in two word sentences, whizzing through their shape sorters and memorising the alphabet!

DS has about a handful of actual discernible words - he talks plenty, but not much of it makes much sense to anyone over the age of 2. He understands a fair bit in two languages. He likes to stack cups but hasn't got the hang of sorting shapes, and he prefers to use the ring stacker as a drum stick. As for memorising the alphabet - yeah, right! Kid can't even sit still long enough for a chorus of Twinkle, Twinkle!

I know that every child develops at their own pace and, for every shape he hasn't sorted, he's climbed a tree instead (almost literally, but I managed to put a stop to it before he got too far up). He's hit some milestones, is working on others, but sometimes I just wonder if I'm not teaching him enough or giving him enough opportunities to learn on his own.

Or maybe I just need to stop reading about other people's children ...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    STOP READING.

Please please please stop reading.
    Each child is different. If he can't do it 5 than maybe spend some time worrying but right now stop and enjoy the drumming.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-03-2014),btmacxxx  (04-03-2014),callmedragon22  (04-03-2014),ChickyBee  (04-03-2014),IvyRain  (04-03-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-03-2014),MayoBean  (04-03-2014),mrsoptomistic  (04-03-2014),Ngaiz  (04-03-2014),Renn  (04-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-03-2014),Stretched  (04-03-2014),Wise Enough  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    There are kids that are miles ahead of the rest. I know I had 1. Yes 1 out of 6. Most kids aren't doing those things at that age. Some things you get mums that think it all a competition. It's not. Relax and enjoy learning with your kids. It's all about play based learning. The biggest thing you can do for them is sit next to them a follow their lead and play.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 04-03-2014 at 12:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get rid of that app. Rubbish. Focus on you and your child's journey. Not everyone else's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stop reading.

Children develop different skills and at different rates. My DS hardly spoke a few months ago, he was too busy scaling anything he could and jumping up and down from steps, chairs, tables.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As others have said, kids do things differently. There's no way my 17 month old can use shape sorters, or memorise the alphabet. I'm sure there's plenty your son can do which she can't as well (like understand two languages!).

I do also wonder when people brag about their kids' achievements. It's so common for people to say that their baby said their first word at 5/6 months etc... which (for the usual definition of 'word'...requiring representing a consistent concept... isn't cognitively plausible). Some people over-enthusiastically interpret what their kids are up to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its hard not to compare. I work in childcare and the number one thing that's taught through all my studies is each child develops at their own pace, even still I couldn't help comparing my dd to my friends children her age. No way was my dd doing any of those things at 16 months. Shes 3.5 now and always been behind in her talking, she still confuses some colours, can count but will get numbers mixed up occasionally, and we are getting there with shapes. But she has always been very advanced physically (crawled and walked early, great balance, climb easily etc) while other children her age couldn't. I wouldn't be concerned with your ds he'll get there and I'd suggest stop reading those forums lol! !

Eta- dd cant say the alphabet either, shes knows a, b, c, d and thats it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    That Tupperware shape sorter is REALLY hard!!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (04-03-2014),FearlessLeader  (04-03-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-03-2014),Renn  (04-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was worried because DD never had a Shape-O and 'aparently' it's so important to their development. Pish-posh! What a load of....

I did actually read something (6 years ago so no source, sorry), that basically said all a shape sorter teaches them is how to sort those shapes into that shape sorter. It doesn't mean they will be able to transfer that knowledge into different situations.

As for reciting the alphabet - that's just learning a song. I'd be teaching them much more fun songs with hand movements/actions etc! The alphabet can come later.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pfffft my 4 year old can't even memorise the alphabet.....
    He can sing life is a highway though lol

DW. Some kids excel in some areas and some in other areas.
    Some mothers sit there and drum things into their kids just so they can brag about it (not kidding, I had a friend who use to make her 2yr old sit down and learn maths!!!)
    Some kids enjoy that but some kids (like mine) would prefer to run around and get dirty and catch bugs than sit down for learning time. That's what schools for!

My little Guy was always a great talker, started talking in sentences
    But he use to get his colours mixed up. The daycare lady told me he might be colour blind!!! Because he got some colours mixed up! Wtf?!?! He was 2.5!
    He knows them now!

My aunty said that even if kids are more "advanced" they all usually level out by 6.
    Don't stress. If your LO is happy and loved then your doing a darn good job!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Last edited by lexim; 04-03-2014 at 14:08.