+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Obsessive 2.5yr old

Are most 2.5yr olds obsessive? DS gets onto one thing and will keep at it until I remove it. It doesn't matter how many times I redirect him or tell him not to do it he just keeps doing it. It's usually opening drawers, climbing on chairs etc, touching the DVD player, it can go on for days or weeks and as soon as I get rid of what ever it is he finds a new thing and it starts all over again. Today it was taking his shorts off repeatedly. Is this normal? How do you handle it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Fiery; 11-03-2014 at 15:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, normal. DS did it, and now DD is right in that phase. Drives me nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's normal. They learn by repetition so they just keep doing things over and over! At the moment my 2.5yo DD is obsessed with getting on and off the toilet, opening and closing doors and asking me "what time is it?"

It's frustrating sometimes because I don't really want to sit in the bathroom all day, listen to doors slamming or have the same conversation about the time 67 times a day!

Lucky for her she's ridiculously cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very very normal. Very very annoying, but normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok...at least it's not just him. That's a bit of a relief. I don't remember it with bioDS but he was a very placid child. Hopefully the phase doesn't last too long or I think I might go crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a relief to read this thread! DS1 (3yo) seems to have a very obsessive nature. We have to read the same book each night until he has memorised it, and it takes DH or I to refuse to read it to get him onto another book - and the cycle continues. He's also completely fixated on anything Cars/ Cars2 related, and it's all he plays with and all he talks about. I try to encourage other activites, but he just goes back to playing with his Cars toys and acting out the movie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I think it's normal. They learn by repetition so they just keep doing things over and over! At the moment my 2.5yo DD is obsessed with getting on and off the toilet, opening and closing doors and asking me "what time is it?"

It's frustrating sometimes because I don't really want to sit in the bathroom all day, listen to doors slamming or have the same conversation about the time 67 times a day!

Lucky for her she's ridiculously cute.
    Doors and windows are a big thing with DS as well. If a door is open he must close (slam) it. Even at daycare. I'm worried he's going to get his little fingers slammed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    What a relief to read this thread! DS1 (3yo) seems to have a very obsessive nature. We have to read the same book each night until he has memorised it, and it takes DH or I to refuse to read it to get him onto another book - and the cycle continues. He's also completely fixated on anything Cars/ Cars2 related, and it's all he plays with and all he talks about. I try to encourage other activites, but he just goes back to playing with his Cars toys and acting out the movie!
    This is my son.
    He fixates on things and no amount of trying to get him to play with something else will work, or if so only for about 20 minutes, then it's back to his obsession.
    My son did this with cars/cars 2, now he is fixated on being a teenage mutant ninja turtle and wants to watch the film 200 times a day. He has the figurines which he pretends play with, but it is all he loves. He seems to go through phases with certain toys. At the moment, I can't leave the house without my DS taking his plastic sword. 😝

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep DS almost 2.5 is obsessed with his Thomas and Friends trains! It's like nothing else can penetrate his awareness when he's playing with them. He has to take a couple if them everywhere we go!

Also ****ting doors! If there is a door open he drops what he's doing to run over and close and declares "shut the door" as he's doing it!

Cracks me up! They're such little bizarre characters! 😂