+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How many calories per day

How many do you have per day? Im trying to drop 4 or 5kg and my fitness pal is telling me to have 1200 per day. Started yesterday and thats pretty hard to keep to!
    Then went on google to see what it says and said about 1800 per day for me..

Thanks
    Reviews
    IT does depend on your starting weight, and then as you lose weight, the number of calories your body needs decreases. I aim for about 1500 which for me is a slow and steady loss. I use myfitnesspal as well and find it quite good. maybe checkout the calculators on a few websites and go with the average?

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, counting calories can be really confusing considering so many different resources tell your different things.

As long as your eating healthily and until your almost full then you'll lose weight. Your better off changing your eating habits long term than fussing around with calories

Also counting calories doesn't take into consideration what your eating.
    Eg a Mars bar could be the same amount of calories as a whole meal yet you wouldn't choose the Mars bat. Yet your still consuming the same amount if calories. Iykwim?

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (03-03-2014)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by my2monkeys View Post
    IT does depend on your starting weight, and then as you lose weight, the number of calories your body needs decreases. I aim for about 1500 which for me is a slow and steady loss. I use myfitnesspal as well and find it quite good. maybe checkout the calculators on a few websites and go with the average?
    See this is not entirely true.

Your intake also depends on your fitness level, your muscle mass and your metabolism.
    As you lose weight, and depending on if your replacing that fat with muscle through weight training you actually need MORE calories because your body is running more efficiently.
    This is why a lot of people plateau because they are way under eating and their bodies are desperate for fuel.

Generally people who count calories are under eating

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't count calories, but carb units. Which is something I got into the habit of doing with gestational diabetes and has worked to help me lose weight. And making sure i choose low gi nutritional carbs each meal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, no idea. I'm another who thinks that counting calories probably isn't a very effective/healthy way to alter your food intake.

The people I know who have been successful with intended weight loss have focused first and foremost on healthy eating, secondly on activity. One in particular was really successful with avoiding most carbs, essentially because it meant he couldn't eat most processed foods :P He's dropped the carb focus now, and has stuck with avoiding sugar/white bread etc.

It might be worth considering an approach which can be more about achievement (eg. how many different vegetables can you eat in a day) that restriction and guilt. Good luck with it though if you take that approach.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-03-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I've been a big calorie counter at certain points in my life and I do think that in general, focussing on 'healthy lifestyle change' is best for long term weight loss. 1200 can be a good kickstart if you have a lot of weight to lose, but considering that you don't have very much I think it's too low and can put undue stress on your body, particularly if you're exercising. As Lexim said, the 'right' amount depends on so many personal factors, but I would say 1500 is an absolute minimum, and 1800 would be ok. I tend to hover somewhere between the two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I eat between 1800 and 2200 a day, but count my macro's aswell and have lost just over 20kg's. I lift weights 3 times a week and do moderate cardio the rest of the time.
    Last edited by wilding; 03-03-2014 at 20:45.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I too have had no or limited success counting calories over the years but much more success counting carbs and have lost a dress size and a half (if that makes sense!) with still about 5 kg to go (but I am not weighing myself, just going by how my clothes feel etc).
    I have no idea what my calorie intake is but I limit myself to between 20 and 50g of carbs per day if that's helpful

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (03-03-2014)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Counting calories is the only way I feel healthy.

I aim for 1200 cals per day but I also exercise each day as well.