+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I check the weekly specials catalogue and then do my weekly meal plan.

With it just being 2 of us at the moment I always have left overs in the freezer too. I have a list on freezer if what is in it so I can glance and decide what I need to take out for dinner that night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Nope I don't. The reason is that I don't believe it generally does save money. I tend to buy meat that is on special then form meals around that for the week. So say if I was to meal plan tacos for Monday night... and mince isn't on special @ $12 a kilo but I pick up rump on special for 10. I think it can be handy when someone is the 'toss everything in the trolley that looks good' type of person. But when you go in with a set meal plan you are often not buying meat/seasonal veg that is on special.

I meal plan a week in advance so when I'm shopping I grab all the meat that is on special and then put it in the freezer and plan meals around what I have for the following week. So tomorrow we are having lasagne with mince I bought last week on special. Then I'm only buying fresh produce that's in season and any washing/cleaning items in the current shop plus meat on special for the following week. Does that make sense?

It definitely works out cheaper for us. We had pork belly last Friday which we got for half price the week before. Yum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never used to but lately i have been and its so much easier knowing what im cooking for dinner and i even get some of the cooking out of the way earlier in the day now.

Also saves me buying stuff i dont need or end up using.
    Ive made a list of 8 dinners and just go in rotation. If we have a dinner out or take away it all just moves up a day

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (05-03-2014)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

LOVE planning for the week - I plan my baking / weekend special brekkies / lunches in too....

Tues... this is always an easy meal like bbq chook and salad for us and cheese toasties for the kids (grocery shop night).

Wed... Rissoles, peas, carrot and potatoes with gravy

Thurs... Noodle fritters (for girls) / chicken, avo, haloumi salad for us.

Fri... Tomato macaroni cheese bake with hidden veg.

Sat... Left over Tomato macaroni cheese bake (perfect because we have 2 kids parties and the girls will be shattered when they get home and me too!)

Sun... honey soy sesame chicken legs / roast veg

Mon... Bacon, pea carbonara (sp?)

Baking - choc chip chickpea cookies / apricot balls / muffins of some sort.

Sunday breaky - pancakes with bacon m/syrup

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Nope I don't. The reason is that I don't believe it generally does save money. I tend to buy meat that is on special then form meals around that for the week. So say if I was to meal plan tacos for Monday night... and mince isn't on special @ $12 a kilo but I pick up rump on special for 10. I think it can be handy when someone is the 'toss everything in the trolley that looks good' type of person. But when you go in with a set meal plan you are often not buying meat/seasonal veg that is on special.
    I'd buy the rump and turn it into mince
    Cheaper and healthier
    Winning!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I meal plan because it means I put less in my trolley and less waste. It also means I don't have to go back to the shops to buy stuff I didn't get and spend more money on stuff I don't need. Before I meal planned, I would waste so much food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just started, so much easier and less waste

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I do, I love meal planning. I like to cook from lots of different recipes (though this weeks isn't all that exciting), so there's no way I could just rock up to the supermarket without set ideas in my head. I also try and go through the fridge and pantry to see if there is excess of something that needs to be used up, and I type that into taste.com and get recipes from there.
    This weeks-
    Monday- sweet and sour chicken
    Tuesday- fajitas
    Wednesday- pumpkin risotto
    Thursday- gnocchi with chorizo
    Friday- homemade fish and chips
    Saturday- pumpkin and ricotta canneloni
    Sunday I go to my bestie's house for a BBQ.

I also usually plan something to bake and a lunch item for lunchboxes for a couple of days, just to break up the monotony of wraps/sandwiches. This week is vanilla biscuits for a snack, and ham and corn miniquiches for lunch.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yes I do, I love meal planning. I like to cook from lots of different recipes (though this weeks isn't all that exciting), so there's no way I could just rock up to the supermarket without set ideas in my head. I also try and go through the fridge and pantry to see if there is excess of something that needs to be used up, and I type that into taste.com and get recipes from there.
    This weeks-
    Monday- sweet and sour chicken
    Tuesday- fajitas
    Wednesday- pumpkin risotto
    Thursday- gnocchi with chorizo
    Friday- homemade fish and chips
    Saturday- pumpkin and ricotta canneloni
    Sunday I go to my bestie's house for a BBQ.

I also usually plan something to bake and a lunch item for lunchboxes for a couple of days, just to break up the monotony of wraps/sandwiches. This week is vanilla biscuits for a snack, and ham and corn miniquiches for lunch.
    Yep this is me. I try 2 or 3 different recipes a week. If they are a winner with the kids and husband then I print it out and put it in a folder.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept