+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I meal plan each week or so depending when I am shopping. I plan dinner, lunches and the kids after school snacks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure do. This week...

Monday - thermomix chicken pasta
    Tuesday - lamb and veg baked in a bag (oven)
    Wednesday - savoury mince and rice
    Thursday - dinner at Inlaws
    Friday - leftovers

On weekends we wing it.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yes usually . i love knowing wat we r having. creates easy stress free dinners

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a general idea about what I'll be making for around the next 5 days or so, which is what I base my grocery shopping around. It of course doesn't always run to plan, but it's usually a menu type of thing.
    I did a grocery shop yesterday and had about 4 meals in mind... but the ingredients I buy are versatile so I chop and change alot, depending on what I feel like.
    For eg, I bought skinless chicken breast fillets yesterday and was planning on using them to make cajun chicken wraps for dinner last night; so I bought wraps, greek yoghurt, salads etc- but I ended up making something else with stuff I already had in the house.
    I know most weeks I'll do the usual, spaghetti bol, vegetarian raviloi, grilled chicken/vegies/salad, tuna with rice/pasta bake, lamb or chicken wraps, corned beef/vegies, baked fish/chips, pork/turkey meatballs/chips/veg/salad... so pretty much every shop I make sure I buy everything I need to make those meals. That's my basic shop/weekly meal planning.

Gah... reading that back I am so sick of those meals :/ My DH is a vegetarian and DS is quite fussy, so I don't really get to mix it up that often.
    Thank god for Vietnemese takeaway

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 03-03-2014 at 13:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I plan my weekly dinner menu. It would drive me nuts to wing it. I've actually written lists of meals that I refer to. It includes several ways to cook:

chicken dishes,
    meat,
    fish,
    pasta,
    soup
    side dishes

That way I'm not racking my brain trying to come up with menus on the day. It takes the pressure off and avoids going grocery shopping everyday. Yuk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Always - I do a fresh food/meat/seafood shop every Monday and Thursday so I always menu plan - this week is easy as it's my sisters wedding this weekend and we are out/entertaining a lot!

Monday - lamb/falafel kebabs
    Tuesday - crumbed flat head fillets and salad/ veggies
    Wednesday - butter chicken
    Thursday - steak and veg ( fish for me )
    Friday - BBQ at mums
    Saturday - dinner out
    Sunday - wedding dinner

Thanks
    Reviews
    YEs we sit down and menu plan each Sunday. (Shopping Day is Sunday). It keeps the 'witching hour' that bit less chaotic if I know what I'm making and have all the ingredients. It also means I can cook in advance and freeze. Which means less time in the kitchen. I find it's also less waste as we buy what we need. We have one take away meal per week usually a fri or sat when the food starts to run low (and I want a night off!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I do a weekly plan- the kids eat different food to DH and I, so I mostly plan 2 menus. I cook in bulk and then freeze portions for the kids, so most of the time I can just defrost them something and cook rice/ pasta and veg to go with it.
    For DH and I, I'll plan the week but quite often the meals get swapped for different days. This week we'll have Thai chicken rice paper rolls, crumbed Barramundi with salad, maple Dijon chicken with roast potatoes and veg, spag Bol, chicken sang choi bau, beef stir fry and steak with mash and veg.
    I get fruit and veg from the markets on Saturday, and then the rest from Woolies. I usually spend between $250-$300 a week on groceries, including nappies, toiletries etc. If I have a full freezer, sometimes that is less, but usually at least $200. We have 2A and 3C in the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meal plan, I would hate to think what our grocery bill would be without it. I do a big shop fortnightly and pick up fresh fruit/veg/milk every every 4 days or so

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Rreg View Post
    I also do a menu for the week.. may not stick with it every day but it's so Im not scratching my head trying to work out what to cook.. I look at the pantry and use that as my "guide" for meals.. just so that Im not constantly buying more food when there's heaps in the pantry. Especailly when I get carried away buying multibuys and all those meal base packets/sauces etc.. we will eat the same meal twice in a row.. so Im not cooking everyday and, Yes we are leftovers people..
    ( I know many that don't) or try and revamp a meal for the following night
    ( rissoles into pasta )
    After spending $100-$200 (2 A and 2C)a week in groceries I can't justify buying takeaway unless I put takeaway into the weekly meal plan. My other thought into meal planning was to try and keep the cost lowerer???? Not sure if this goes to plan though ..
    Can I ask.. how much a week you spend on groceries..
    Just on food, not including cleaning stuff, baby stuff, pet stuff etc.

Probably about $80 - $100 a week for the 4 of us. Although I live in the country and it tends to be more exy than city prices.
    I don't buy red meat though, we kill our own and I currently have 3 sheep and a cow in my freezer.
    I buy chicken meat but don't buy eggs as we have chooks
    Soon I won't buy milk as we are getting a milking cow.

I don't buy a lot of pantry items as I try to make my own sauces, bases, condiments etc
    So I tend to buy basic stuff to make them with and lots of fruit and veg.
    Currently doing a vege garden so sometimes I have veges to use from there

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Last edited by lexim; 03-03-2014 at 14:13.