+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Half vent, half WDYT? Hungry 5 mth old on formula

Ok, I want to start by saying I know all the current recommendations for starting solids is six months. Back with my first child it was 4-6 mths, but I've always stuck to the 6 mth minimum.

My 3 DDs were all fully breastfed. DD 2 & 3 self weaned at around 3 yrs. I did baby led weaning for solids after 6 mths, so all started at different ages depending when they showed signs of being interested in food. Breastmilk was easily sufficient, and none of them showed an interest before 6 mths.

DS at 5 mths however is completely different. He is on formula due to medication I have to take for pretty serious medical issues.
    He is very clearly hungry. I've lost count of the mls he takes each day, as he is having a full bottle every two hours, including now overnight. He's an average weight, and definitely not a big baby.

For the last month he has being going mad over our food. Any of us eat, and he watches, makes eating movements with his mouth, and tries to grab the food. We actually feel mean eating in front of him!
    He gets really upset when he can't get at the food, and I usually eat seperately and give him a bottle while everyone is eating, but he just twists around and gets frustrated.

I've been reading up on it, and am really disappointed to find that the constant phrase is "breastmilk is all baby needs until 6mths". Not so much here, but everywhere else there is no mention of formula.
    In fact, I came across a well know parenting site offering links to articles that stated to never give formula, as it destroyed the babys digestive system. I'm really pi$$ed off, as I've always been a strong advocate for bfeeding, am still a member of the ABA, and have NEVER read such rubbish.

Even before ff myself, I saw it as just another feeding method. I believe breast is best if that's what works for mum and bub, but know that it isnt always possible. We are lucky enough to have an option that is safe, and provides essential nutrients. A lot of mums in third world countries don't get that choice. What a disgusting way to bring down those mums that formula feed for whatever reason.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just shocked.

So what I'm asking is, would you look at trying a small amount of rice cereal at this age? Has anyone else using formula had a similar issue, where it just didn't seem to fully meet bubs needs before 6mths? Neonatal appt (NICU baby) is not for another 3 wks, with none earlier, and MCHN clinic is where ex-h's wife works, and there are massive privacy issues, so no help there

DS is otherwise very happy and healthy...just hungry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was told by hospital dieticians etc (also have a nicu baby) that starting anytime between 4-6 months if fine. If they are ready.
    Sounds like your bub is. I started at 5 months with my dd as directed by her paed, her dietician and her cardiac doctors! ! Surely they all can't be wrong. Haha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hell yes I would. He sounds ready. Start small. I normally start with fruit rather than cereal. But yes I would.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he is ready he is ready. I would skip the rice cereal and go straight to vegetables.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say go for it!

My youngest daughter was breastfed, but was very interested in food from an early age too. It was like she saw us all eating and felt left out!

We started off giving her her own mashed banana, mashed veggies etc and went from there (we started at around 4 months, I think).

Not much food was actually swallowed to start with, lol, but she loved having her own bowl like everyone else, and loved touching the food, trying all of the different tastes and textures etc

She's now 2 and is a fantastic eater. She loves veggies and will try anything and I think it's possibly because she started tasting different foods early on, whereas her siblings didn't start rice cereal until 6 months (It may have even been later, but can't remember) and are quite fussy now and prefer plain foods.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I've been reading up on it, and am really disappointed to find that the constant phrase is "breastmilk is all baby needs until 6mths". Not so much here, but everywhere else there is no mention of formula.
    Yes, I just had a look at the official infant feeding guidelines and you're right - it just states exclusively breastfed babies don't need any extra solid or liquids such as water for the first 6 months, but nothing about formula-fed babies or those who are doing mixed feeding. I agree they should definitely be updated to include more specific recommendations regarding formula (and if they are the same recommendations, both 'formula fed' and 'breastfed' should be used, so that it is clear)

I also noticed that they've also kept the official recommended age for introducing solids at "around 6 months of age", which is interesting because my MCHN said that 4 months is fine if they're interested and seem ready. Another article suggested that when the recommended age was lowered to 4-6 months, people were introducing solids at 2-3 months "because their baby was very advanced", so perhaps that's why they've kept it at 6 months.
    Last edited by sky1; 03-03-2014 at 11:07.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would start. Some babies are ready earlier than others and you need to go with how they are. If he can hold his head up and has good hand control I would even consider doing some blw with him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Definitely agree, I would start. I wish I had started at 5 months as it might have helped me avoid the cluster feeding nightmare that left me zombie-like and half crazy.

I would start with fruit/veggies too, but just because that worked for us. I'm no expert :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ds first ate rice cereal at 4 months and hated it.....by 6 months he was eating a meal a day of solid food. DD I didn't bother with rice cereal and is now 5.5months and eats her dinner with us at 5.30-6 and has her final feed at 7.30-8. she eats steamed mashed veg or fruit. If he looks like he wants to eat he is probably ready.....trust your gut. worst case he spits the cereal out and you wait a while longer.

ME + DH = DS(2010) and DD(2013)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    If he is ready he is ready. I would skip the rice cereal and go straight to vegetables.
    This If he's showing all the signs at 5 months, I would start him on some veg.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The guidelines are around 6 months. I know from an allergy perspective they say between 4 and 6 months. If your child is able to sit up unaided, has lost their tongue thrust reflex and is showing a keen interest in food, I'd start. These signs are more important than some arbitrary age- they dont go from not ready at 5 months and 30 days to suddenly ready the next day iykwim

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (04-03-2014)