+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Silly question about ttc

Ok so given I have twins (Ivf conceived.. Unexplained infertility, had natural conceptions since but alas miscarried multiple times) and I've been thru ttc before..you'd think I'd be able to answer this question myself but im having a moment of self doubt!

We are ttc naturally and I ovulated last week on wed or thurs (confirmed by my fertility clinic as I'm having a tracked natural cycle) and I just feel like we didn't DTD enough. We did it Sunday night (too far in advance right??) and then Tuesday night (but in the shower standing up so does that even count? Cos does the sperm even stay in?) then Wednesday and Thursday. And Saturday for good measure.

I'm just thinking I've stuffed it up. Cos if I ovulated Wednesday then surely Wednesday sex is just too late. The sperm should be waiting there for the egg already then right? Which might have been the case if we had DTD lying down on Tuesday but standing up sex can't be that effective and Sunday nights really is too far ahead of time surely? Gahhhh it's so annoying. Felt like we had a lot of sex but I just think we timed it too late!

Any thoughts would be welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds plenty. The Tuesday and Wed shag could have caught the ovulation if it was on wednesday or thursday. It doesn't matter if you were standing up, the sperm gets projected into your uterus. The sperm would be held in there. When I was having my first embryo transfer my doc described my uterus to me as being like a jam sandwich, its not just an empty space where things drop out. And the egg lives for 12 hours BTW.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

Livvyloo  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehehe the jam sandwich analogy is great lol. I DO think of the uterus as just kinda being all open and ready for things to drop out. Haha. I've literally been saying to myself well Tuesdays doesn't count cos I was standing and it all would have come out. Maybe I'm wrong tho!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Even the Sunday romp would count. Sperm can live up inside for 5 days... Sounds like you 'did it' enough times.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Livvyloo  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering about Sunday! Thought maybe if o day was Wednesday then some of the sperm might still be hanging around at that point. Thursday might be a stretch. But if it's as Thursday then we can fall back on the Wednesday romp and possibly the Tuesday if the sperm didn't all come out straight after lol.

It's funny when you're trying not to conceive it feels like any day even close to o day can get you pregnant but then you want to conceive and it's like no matter how many times you do it, it's not enough haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Livy, I'm no expert- though I have read up on a lot of reading material in the last 3 or so yrs.

It is to my understanding that sperm can remain viable inside (or around) the cervix for up to 5 days IF there is quality cervical mucus (cm- either watery or ideally eggwhite) to keep them alive, as without that then the sperm quickly die as it is a hostile environment in which they can not survive.

Your chances are still sounding good however, as you BD on O day or the day before. (even though you were standing up and in the shower)
    As O approaches the OS (the cervix opening) opens up to allow sperm through.

Good luck!