+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *trigger warning* SIDS

so I am PETRIFIED of SIDS. I am so terrified that it will happen to dd that I actually sleep on the floor next to her cot and check her all though the night. She is 5 months old and sleeps 7-7 self settling and in her cot....I didn't sleep train her she just does it. anyway I don't want to move her to my bed so I sleep on the floor.......am I being really paranoid or do other people feel the same way??

ME + DH = DS(2010) and DD(2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have a breathing monitor? We have a Snuza Hero which is a little breathing monitor that clips onto his nappy-helps my sanity at night heaps!

There are also breathing monitor pads that go on her cot mattress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never did that but I can understand why you would be doing that. I have always gotten up a few times in the night to ensure both my kids are warm. I'm always covering them up. Could you consider a breathing monitor? I would imagine that you are not getting a lot of good sleep and would worry this could take its toll. Were you like this with your first child and how old was the child when you stopped laying beside the cot? Part of the reason I co slept with my kids was because I wanted to hear them breathe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I never did that but I can understand why you would be doing that. I have always gotten up a few times in the night to ensure both my kids are warm. I'm always covering them up. Could you consider a breathing monitor? I would imagine that you are not getting a lot of good sleep and would worry this could take its toll. Were you like this with your first child and how old was the child when you stopped laying beside the cot? Part of the reason I co slept with my kids was because I wanted to hear them breathe.
    I have seen some sketchy reviews on the monitors so am unsure about them.

ds was a cosleeper til he was 2 so I never had this problem with him. But DD prefers to sleep in her cot and has gotten her self into a self settling routine which I don't really want to mess up.....now ds snores so loud I don't need to check him haha

ME + DH = DS(2010) and DD(2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you put her cot next your bed so you can reach out and touch her?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-03-2014),KaraB  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was very paranoid with my ds1... Couldn't relax when he was sleeping... It only took a few days until I caved and forked out for an angelcare breathing monitor that fits under the cot mattress.

If you are worried about them being inaccurate (which im not) then you could always test them each day to make sure they are working (I used to test mine every week by turning the monitor on when bub wasn't in the cot). You could also buy two monitors to give you peace of mind: angelcare cot sensor pads and Snuza halo which clips onto the nappy as holly said (they sound pretty cool).
    - That has to be better than sleeping on the floor in bubs room? That's not good for you and to be honest I'm not sure what problems you are going to be able to pick up when you are asleep?

Good luck..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there any way you can fit the cot in your room?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm petrified of Sids too. I never really gave it a thought until a good friend lost her baby boy to Sids a few years ago. I bought one of those angel care sensor pad monitors. I've NEVER had an issue with a false alarm. We have dd's cot right next to our bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I was very paranoid with my ds1... Couldn't relax when he was sleeping... It only took a few days until I caved and forked out for an angelcare breathing monitor that fits under the cot mattress.

If you are worried about them being inaccurate (which im not) then you could always test them each day to make sure they are working (I used to test mine every week by turning the monitor on when bub wasn't in the cot). You could also buy two monitors to give you peace of mind: angelcare cot sensor pads and Snuza halo which clips onto the nappy as holly said (they sound pretty cool).
    - That has to be better than sleeping on the floor in bubs room? That's not good for you and to be honest I'm not sure what problems you are going to be able to pick up when you are asleep?

Good luck..
    This. We had an angelcare breathing monitor with the sensor pads. Checked it every so often to make sure it worked. Knowing we had that helped me sleep & I was happy leaving dd snoozing in her bedroom as it had a sound monitor too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even in our room the only way I got any sleep was thanks to the angelcare breathing monitor, before I used it I would wake up and wait to hear a noise from dd before I could relax and by then I was wide awake and not getting a great nights sleep. Once I started using I would glance at the monitor and see the light flashing and go back to sleep.