+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had jaundice-y babies so had to wake them every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night until that was gone.

One of my bubs was particularly sleepy and hard to wake to feed, but they need the extra feeds to flush it all out.

Once it was flushed though I let them sleep as long as they could - but a pattern was set by then and they seemed to wake like clockwork during the day for feeds and by 4 weeks were sleeping through the night.

Will be interesting to see what this one does.

I have heard that some people without jaundice babies will still try and get the days and nights around the right way, ie. feeding them more during the day, cluster feed in evening and let sleep as long as they will during the night, particularly if they have other children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first I did, but with my second I thought I'd just let him sleep. Turns out that was the wrong thing to do for us, he wasn't getting enough food and was sleeping because he didn't have the energy. It's not always the case that they will wake when hungry. Lucky for us, we discovered this issue very early on - I had just thought I had scored a good sleeper second time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As per above.....was advised to wake newborn every three hours for a feed due to jaundice and not gaining enough weight....i only did that for the minimum time til jaundice etc resolved as it was horrible...dreadful ....trying to wake myself up to an alarm clock to feed ....otherwise i was told if gaining enough weight etc then no need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Both of mine had jaundice so yes we did but after that was flushed out no we didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shy View Post
    With my first I did, but with my second I thought I'd just let him sleep. Turns out that was the wrong thing to do for us, he wasn't getting enough food and was sleeping because he didn't have the energy. It's not always the case that they will wake when hungry. Lucky for us, we discovered this issue very early on - I had just thought I had scored a good sleeper second time around.

Me too....i thought i had the most settled baby....i was wrong...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would only if a doctor/pediatrician advised. So if Bub isn't feeding enough or needs to for health reasons then yep.

OP... If there are no underlying issues then no probably not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think I did a couple of times in the first week, but as someone else mentioned, she was just sleepy and fell asleep straight away as soon as I put her on the boob.

She is only 6 weeks old but has no problem in letting me know she is hungry, I don't wake her at all anymore and have had no issues so far with supple or her gaining weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't until I discovered DD3 had lost more than 10% of her birth weight and was failing to gain it back. Like a pp said, baby had no energy to wake and feed.

Obviously not always the case, but definitely something to be mindful of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shy View Post
    This was very similar to my experience with DS3. He just kept sleeping and dropping weight then refused to feed and had blood sugar issues and developed jaundice. So I'd be keeping an eye on number of wet nappies, weight etc and make a decision based on that. One long stretch at night is one thing but sleeping through a lot of feeds at that young age I'd personally just watch closely. I was lucky we were still in hospital when DS3's blood sugar issues were discovered.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app