+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default CMPI onset at 5 months?

Has anyone's bub not showed any signs of cmpi until 5 months old? My DS is almost five months and today had a very small amount of blood in his last two poos. The after hours gp thinks it is cmpi and told me to eliminate all dairy straight away (he is exclusively bf) but I'm not convinced. DS has had diarrhea for about 36 hours (6 poos today) and just the last two have had blood. Tmi but they have been very watery and not mucousy at all, and have been an orange colour. He had his first tooth come through yesterday and had a viral infection with an inflamed throat (diagnosed by our gp) earlier this week. In the past his poos have occasionally been mucousy but not consistently. He vomits maybe once every 1-2 weeks which is usually after too much jiggling by DH close after a feed or over feeding. No rashes but occasionally a few pimples under one eye. He is a very settled and happy baby, and doesn't show any signs of being in pain.
    Does any of this sound like cmpi? Or has anyone had a bub who hasn't developed cmpi until this age? I'm really reluctant to eliminate dairy without good reason as I have been having problems with losing too much weight (although I feel incredibly guilty and selfish saying that if my bub is unwell because of what I eat). Is it possible the blood could be due to the virus he had earlier in the week or teething and an irritated tummy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The blood could be due to the inflamed throat?
    I've had 2 CMPI babies and we had constant mucous and blood with my first until she was diagnosed and I went dairy-free.
    Sometimes after a gastro upset, babies can become dairy intolerant for a period of time (usually 3 weeks max) until their intestines are back to normal. You could follow your GP's advice and eliminate dairy for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce it to see if the blood reappears.
    If you are eliminating dairy long-term, I'd strongly recommend seeking the advice of a dietitian to ensure your diet meets all your needs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

misstrouble  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. My dd was about 4 months when cmpi presented. The paed said it can build up over time. But also it can depend on how much you have dairy in your diet. My dd was breastfed (well ebm with added formula) For many months with no real firm symptoms. Until I started transitioning her to formula. Over time the symptoms increased.
    You can get some tests that can indicate problems.
    Collecting stool samples and then calprotectin levels checked and occult test (though if you can see the blood then that's a positive test anyway). Elevated calprotectin can suggest inflammation and can help with a diagnosis.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Yes. My dd was about 4 months when cmpi presented. The paed said it can build up over time. But also it can depend on how much you have dairy in your diet. My dd was breastfed (well ebm with added formula) For many months with no real firm symptoms. Until I started transitioning her to formula. Over time the symptoms increased.
    You can get some tests that can indicate problems.
    Collecting stool samples and then calprotectin levels checked and occult test (though if you can see the blood then that's a positive test anyway). Elevated calprotectin can suggest inflammation and can help with a diagnosis.

Thanks for this info, I will try to follow up about the tests with our regular gp. Do you mind telling me what symptoms your dd had?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    Thanks for this info, I will try to follow up about the tests with our regular gp. Do you mind telling me what symptoms your dd had?
    I should add that I don't have a lot of a dairy in my diet ... Maybe a cappuccino a day. .. so it wasn't til that built up in my milk. She also has a heart condition so I was adding formula to my milk for extra calories. The paed basically said it was building up in her system.
    Her symptoms were the opposite of the regular diarrhea. . she's was constipated. .. and when she would go out was a poo nami!! With lots of blood. She's would be very upset when she finally went and not long before. There would be some mucous too. But it wasn't every poop. She might go two weeks being normal then two weeks of blood etc.
    Her calprotectin levels were very very high.... so that was an added sign. The blood and mucous stopped once we found the right formula. Which took a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. I have had a fair amount of dairy ever since he was born so it just feels a bit odd that it would start suddenly now. I guess I'm just hoping that it's to do with the virus and that it will all settle down in a day or two but we will have to wait and see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely could be something else too. But good that you have a paed who is listening and keeping an eye on things.
    Maybe it's just a bug that's upset the tummy for a few days.
    Hopefully things improve. My dd also had reflux but very mild and the symptoms can be similar. It is hard to diagnose.
    Sometimes the blood, if very red and fresh looking is more about an inflammation low down in the bowel or a tear that is aggravated by pooping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I just realized it was a gp.. Not paed. It's worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll definitely keep a close eye on things and might get a paed referral just in case. He's just been such a healthy bub until this week so it's hard to make sense of, especially when he doesn't seem upset or in pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does seem weird to just come out of the blue like that.
    Hope it's not! And all is fine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

misstrouble  (02-03-2014)