+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do both! Take a smaller/cheaper holiday now with some of his long service and put the rest towards your deposit ( go to the USA or Asia , closer and cheap !) , that way you both get a good holiday before you commit to the mortgage and then save up for a bigger trip later

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    House. Travel will always be there. Houses are only getting dearer. Sure it would be harder to save for travel after buying but not impossible
    agree. we have a mortgage and ee travel all the time! not always exotic destinations..but we get to do alot ..amd always have something that is our to come home to

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Travel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely travel first! That's what we did and I'm so glad. My DH had never travelled outside of Australia and we did a few big trips before building our house. Overseas travel doesn't have to be expensive - do plenty of research and compare what discounts a travel agent can get you and what you can dyi online.

If you can, keep some savings aside to build on when you get back as a deposit.

I love the fact we have our own home now, but with a new mortgage and bub on the way I'm actually a little devastated that travelling has to take a back seat for a little while. You can absolutely do both, but as previous posters have said, it can be more difficult to save for travelling and pay off a mortgage than indulge in a great trip and focus on the house deposit when you get back.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on what you want to do. I wanted to set myself up so I could have my family young, so rather than travel DH and I bought a house (I was 21), and now with 2 kids and building our "forever" home at 29 we are miles ahead of my friends that travelled - when I say travelled I mean went away for months at a time. They are only just trying to get their first homes now, and are trying to work out when they can start their families. However in saying that they are happy they travelled because they didn't want to have a young family like I did. And likewise, I'm happy with my decision. I'm not in any rush to travel and I'm happy to do it a little later on. Really it's just what you prefer. I'm sure there is a way you could compromise and do both, that would be best!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Travel.

You don't know what will happen...travel is an amazing experience and to me is priceless.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (02-03-2014),MummaOJ  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Travel. Hands down travel. There is no competition in my mind.

I spent a lot of time travelling pre kids and own my own house now. I was still able to buy in my 20s without too much of a hassle. Travelling provides invaluable life experience that I doubt you will ever regret.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd travel for a little while but make sure it doesn't eat into my savings too much. Then come back and save some more then buy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say travel. Its much harder to save once the mortgage comes along. I went house first when I was younger and regreted it x

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 kids, a nearly 2yo and I have a 5yo from a previous relationship (which my partner and I just consider 'ours'). We have family who would more than happily take the kids for a couple of weeks.
    We already have a considerable deposit for a house. I'm not yet qualified (studying currently) and wont be for about a year, so until then (plus however long it takes to find a job in-field, plus at least 6 months to show job security) we wouldn't be buying anyway. I'd love to own a home, but we spoke with banks recently who all said I'd need to have a higher income first.

I think I'm really leaning towards travel... But perhaps I'm typing with my itchy feet??