+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet Training Question

DD is 2.5yo and since the beginning of the year she has been quite keen on the toilet. She often asks to go, loves sitting on the loo, can take her pants & nappy off herself, knows how to flush it, tells me its for wee and poo and claps when I go to the toilet saying "yay! Mummy did wee in the toilet!" lol. .

So generally she gets the idea and I'm fairly sure she's ready to TT.

The problem is, she's not actually going in the toilet. She's done one poo and a couple of wees but that's it in 2 months. She asks to go to the toilet whenever she wants attention and just mucks around - getting on and off, tearing up toilet paper, flushing, taking the kid seat on and off. So I ask her if she's all done and she says "no, more toilet" or "I do a wee". This can go on for a very long time (like 20+ minutes) and eventually ends in a tantrum when I put her nappy back on, unless she gets distracted by something else.

We've taken the approach of letting her lead the way and she gets a reward if she does a wee or poo in the toilet. But she seems to be taking advantage!

Anyone else had this problem? What should we do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My suggestion would let her see you do a wee on the toilet and say "look mummy is doing wee!!"
    When she tries and there is no wee, just quickly take her out saying "oh there was no wee, we try later" then distract her.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's great that she's showing an interest- even though it can be a little frustrating when she just seems to be playing around. At the moment my 18mo DD is showing an interest in the toilet and it's driving me insane, even though I know it's a positive step towards toilet training, she keeps saying "toilet" and "wee wee/poo poo" so we go to the toilet (she is still too scared to sit on it) but she takes her nappy off, lifts and closes the lid and then we wash her hands. She LOVES it, lol, it's all a game to her and I have to distract her otherwise she will continue doing it all day.
    Keep encouraging her, the novelty will wear off soon enough
    Do you use a potty at all? I personally prefer to get them straight onto the big toilet with a kiddie seat, but maybe your DD will start getting the hang of things more so if you start with a potty and go from there?

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    TT DS took forever so I'm probably no expert but we properly started when he was your DD's age by putting him in undies and explaining he would have to do all his wees in the toilet if he had undies on. We offered the undies every nappy change for months before he decided he was ready and then we didn't go back to nappies. Just pull ups for going out. But there were LOTS of accidents for a LONG time. A year later and we still have quite a few.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    My suggestion would let her see you do a wee on the toilet and say "look mummy is doing wee!!"
    When she tries and there is no wee, just quickly take her out saying "oh there was no wee, we try later" then distract her.
    She always follows me into the toilet and I talk about doing a wee and she watches me and commentates. Maybe I should get her on the toilet straight after for a 'turn' and just give her a couple of minutes, like you suggest, rather than waiting for her to ask for the toilet and then messing around for ages!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't use a potty, she uses the normal toilet with a toddler seat on it (although she often won't use that and wants to sit on the big seat, which is a bit of a balancing act!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just leave the nappy off and pop her in knickers. See what happens. Do you have a routine with toilet times? Before/after sleeps, before/after food etc?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really a routine, but we always offer the toilet first thing in the morning and before her bath. She asks to go to the toilet about 10 times a day though!

I think we might do the nappy-free thing one day soon when we're both home all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have to be home all day to do nappy free time. Just take the nappy off whenever you are home. even if it's for 1-2 hours in the morning.
    When TT both girls used to go 10-20 times a day. Only actually did anything 5-8 times. They are just learning.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just stick her in undies and ask her every half hour, take her every hour. My DD was showing an interest about 6 months ago (she has just turned 2) like your DD and I didn't push it. I wish I had followed through then as I waited and she lost interest a bit. I had to force it more now I wanted it to happen.

I called it a week and a half ago, and just stuck her in undies permanently except for sleeps. It went bad, lots of fights to get her to the toilet. I stopped fighting her and asked more but didn't force her to sit on it if she didn't want to (and bribery failed ). LOTS of accidents. Maybe a 50/50 success rate. But today I went out and we had no accidents!!!! Not all day!!! Everyone told me to just jump in at the deep end and it's working.

Good luck!