+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Biological Nurturing - Laid Back Breastfeeding?

Hi

I tried breastfeeding with my DS and struggled due to sore nipples (cracked, bleeding). I have flat nipples so struggled with attachment, even with using nipple shields. Due to the attachment issues my supply wasn't very good and after 6 and a half weeks I switched to full time formula feeding.

I had a Medela Mini Electric (which I personally found extremely noisy and didn't manage to get a lot of milk from it. I have just purchased a Spectra S2 to use with my next baby.

Last time my midwife was hopeless. I asked her several times about breastfeeding but she just kept saying we would discuss it on the day of the birth as it is easier to demonstrate. I had booked myself in for a breastfeeding class but my baby came that week and I didn't get to attend it.

This time around I want to prepare myself with as much knowledge as possible to try and make breastfeeding a success. My nipples seem to be protruding a bit more this time around so I am hoping to have more success. I have purchased a device called Lansinoh Latch Assist so I hope that will help draw out the nipple.

I went to ask a health clinic who has a private lactation consultant and she said to come back 4 weeks prior to birth to make an appointment. She suggested I look up Biological Nurturning - Laid Back Breastfeeding, which I have done. It looks very interesting and I wonder if anyone else has tried it and done it successfully. I like it that the baby seems to simply attach themselves. I can't wait to have my appointment with her to discuss it further.

Even just some positive stories of those with flat nipples too would be encouraging.

Thanks heaps 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping - anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I haven't heard of biological nurturing.. But I can empathise with you regarding the cracked painful nipples!

Good idea hooking up with a lactation consultant prior to bub coming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well done for putting so much effort into having a successful bf relationship this time around :-)

I found that my daughter needed help to attach; I tried letting her attach herself but she had a very shallow latch and I ended up with really badly cracked nipples that had me expressing and bottle feeding for about 4 days when she was less than a week old because her latch was so painful. Once I got her latch sorted, my nipples healed but it took probably 2-3 weeks until she could successfully and correctly latch herself.

While I highly recommend bf classes to understand the theory behind the techniques required, I think it's hard to be taught how to bf without your baby there to practice with. So keep getting as informed as possible but once bub arrives, ask your midwives at every feed to check the latch. I thought my daughter was doing it correctly and didn't get their help so was really upset about having such sore nipples once we got home.

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also switched my first to formula about 11 weeks which I really regretted. I also have flat nipples and used a nipple shield with ds.
    With number two I was determined to bf when she was born she latched perfectly. Sadly a week later I developed cracked bleeding shredded nipples, blocked ducts and mastitis. I attended the breast centre and they picked up a tongue tie. By this stage I was back to using a shield and she had her tongue snipped at 5 weeks.
    We are still feeding with the shield now at 11 months. What got me through was determination, research, a good pump, a good lc and a strong support person to remind me of my goal.
    We also had a few days in bed and I would let her crawl to my breast and latch herself, Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have practiced biological nursing since DD2 was about 6 months- when I first heard of it I didn't try from birth but doubt it would have worked for us as latch was something we both had to learn

Good luck with your bf this time, it sounds like you're doing everything you can to ensure it works out. BH is great for advice, troubleshooting and tips
    Last edited by Atropos; 03-03-2014 at 06:57.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is biological nurturing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.biologicalnurturing.com

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hRyHR6jkFDU

Thanks ladies for the replies.
    I will reply properly in the morning as off to bed. But here are a few links one is the biological nurturing website and the other is a video showing the technique.

I am not sure if the link to the biological nurturing website will work properly as it don't seem to have the adobe set up. I think it can only be viewed on a computer not other devices...

Thanks for your replies....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my baby was unable to latch due to low muscle tone from down syndrome, and he was in NICU for 4 weeks. I also had flat nipples and with the lc there to help used a nipple shield but w still couldn't get there at the time. For 3 months I expressed milk and supplemented with some formula when I ran out. I would also put him on the breast occasionally without the nipple shield to increase my supply. Well, one day after 3 months he just latched on. We still do EBM from the bottle when he is tired but most feeds are from the breast now, so even if you don't get it straight away you can keep trying with EBM if that works for you. I also use the spectra s2 and it is an awesome pump. I remember feeling so sad when I couldn't breastfeed and so shocked and happy when it finally worked out. Good luck, and whatever happens, know you're doing your best.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrismusic For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (03-03-2014),KaraB  (02-03-2014),My Beloved Ones  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry I haven't heard of biological nurturing.. But I can empathise with you regarding the cracked painful nipples!

Good idea hooking up with a lactation consultant prior to bub coming
    Thanks VicPark - hope you got to check out the links I added regarding the biological nurturing 😀
    Cracked painful nipples are the worst ouch, fills me with fear just thinking about it.