+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaO View Post
    My dog is always off leash, but is so well trained she just walks beside me, nobody would know she isn't on a leash. Untrained dogs annoy me so much, they annoy my dog too - it's like she gives them foul looks when they come up to her, she is totally disinterested it is very funny.
    I have 2 dogs that need alot of exercise, cant take them to the dog off leash park because apparently being In an off leash area means you dont have to control your dogs at all, my dogs are ppl dogs not really interested in other dogs and dont appreciate dogs jumping all over them. I do take them to the park off leash but stay away from everyone else and put them straight back on lead if other dogs or ppl arrive. I think if your dogs are well trained you can have them off lead but show consideration to others and put them back on lead straight away when others turn up.

My annoyance is when ppl have no control over their dogs that are on a lead. My dogs are healing next to me on a lead while im pushing the pram and their dogs launch across the path towards mine almost tripping me over... but its ok their dog is on lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inner hippy View Post
    I have 2 dogs that need alot of exercise, cant take them to the dog off leash park because apparently being In an off leash area means you dont have to control your dogs at all, my dogs are ppl dogs not really interested in other dogs and dont appreciate dogs jumping all over them. I do take them to the park off leash but stay away from everyone else and put them straight back on lead if other dogs or ppl arrive. I think if your dogs are well trained you can have them off lead but show consideration to others and put them back on lead straight away when others turn up.

My annoyance is when ppl have no control over their dogs that are on a lead. My dogs are healing next to me on a lead while im pushing the pram and their dogs launch across the path towards mine almost tripping me over... but its ok their dog is on lead.
    I agree, I train foster dogs and some have no manners at all. I have to socialize them so we can adopt them out but it's a long process. I always have a haltie on these dogs, and when other dogs approach us (walking past), I hold the lead tight and keep walking briskly. Some ppl just have no idea...or are just plain rude and they can see I'm trying to keep my dogs attention on me.
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 02-03-2014 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I hate unfenced dogs. Our two are dog aggressive so are behind a big fence topped(and bottomed) with barbed wire to keep them in. We have 7 unfenced dogs in my area. They come close to our fence and our dogs try to kill them. It's distressing. We can't take our dogs anywhere public, even on leashes, just in case an unleashed dog comes up to us, our dogs will attack.
    (Ps, NO idea why they are dog aggressive, it wasn't always this way. We used to have friends stay over and they'd bring their dogs on weekends. It would be normal for up to 10 dogs to be together for the weekend with no worries. They are fantastic with the kids/people though)
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 02-03-2014 at 14:59.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. Fair call.

I too think that even a well trained dog can be unpredictable at times. One day when my dog was just a pup (he is nearly 11) I was walking him and 2 dogs that were in the front yard of a house on the other side of the road with no front fence (a bull mastiff and a red cattle dog) ran across the road, I saw them coming and picked up my dog and was preparing to throw him over the fence of the yard that I was in front off but they got hold of his leg and he was yelping and I was screaming. The owner of the dogs swore that they were trained and never ever normally do that....except they did. My dog never really regained his enthusiasm for walks after that. Maybe it was me that was nervy but it was a very scary experience.

If a dog is well trained, having a leash on is no hassle to either of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep cant stand out of control or off leash dogs. The amount of times id be walking our dog on a leash & another out of control/off leash dog went for him! My dog is a massive wuss & was always on a leash & never did anything to provoke the other dogs. The owners half the time were miles behind or no-where in sight leaving me to hold our dogs apart

The worst one is when people buy massive dogs & cant control them.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 30+kg dog who is very well trained but I always make sure he is on a leash in public. He looks very intimidating and I hate the thought of people being scared of him while we are walking. I normally take him for a walk while bub is in the pram on my own and really get annoyed when other dogs (large & small) run over to us. He has been bitten twice now by smaller dogs and hasn't retaliated. As soon as I stop walking he stops & drops, even when he is being bitten but another dog which is so deep I need to take him to the vet! We live on the lake and we have access from our yard. Hardly anyone from the public uses that area but we still make sure we have a leash down there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with you, OP. People may think or even know their dog is friendly and won't run up to people etc, so its okay for them not to be on a leash, but that view has no regard for the people who don't know you or your dog. Seeing a dog off a lead can scare people. I have seen a few incidents over the years where dogs have bitten people in public places and the owner has been so shocked saying 'that has never happened before, it is so unlike Fido'. Better to be safe than sorry.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-03-2014),LoveLivesHere  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My friends 5 year old boy was mauled on his face and required facial reconstruction surgery - it was by a golden retriever and the owners, who'd had the dog for 10 years were devastated and said he had never in his life even hurt a fly, was the friendliest most trustworthy dog etc.

I don't care how well someone thinks they know their dog - they are animals, and as much as we think we know how our dogs will act in any kind of situation we just don't.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (02-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (02-03-2014),Lincolns mummy  (02-03-2014),LoveLivesHere  (02-03-2014),River Song  (02-03-2014),SoThisIsLove  (02-03-2014),Tamtam  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel so bad I don't walk my dogs as much as I should because of stupid people not having a leash!! I am sick of my dogs going mental while trying to walk them because little fido is doing circles around us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree OP.
    I have a dog. .. well trained. She's never off leash unless on the dog Beach where is allowed. And she's very good.
    I even hate untrained or unmanaged dogs off leash on the dog Beach. It annoys me when a dog comes bounding up to me. I would hate to subject anyone else to this. I think it's rude.
    Control your dogs people and pick up their poop!!!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app