+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Newborn help

Bub is 3 days old and its day one home.

Hes not eating like at hosp total cluster feeding (he's on formula) and full grizzle bum. He was in neonates for 3 days so I didnt get much time with him to know what to expect and then booted out. I also have a 10mo.

Is it his formula? The hosp wouldn't tell me the one he was on.. its confidential apparently :/ so switched to Bellamys.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi monnie firstly congratulations on your new baby!
    It could be the formula or normal newborn behaviour as cluster feeding is normal, however it is a shame that the hospital didn't give you a rundown of the feeding schedule they had bubs on.
    It is absurd that the brand of formula used by the hospital is confidential???!!

Can you contact the community nurse to ask them? They usually do a home visit so that's a good time to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It took my DS about a week to settle onto a new formula when we changed him, so he might be adjusting to a new formula. The teats could be different as well? That's really odd that they wouldn't tell you what formula they had him on. Can you/ DP call and speak to someone else? The night midwives might be more helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG how can they not tell you what formula!? Obviously bub is noticing the difference.
    short of trying to get the info out of someone at the hospital try to do lots of skin to skin it'll calm him down hopefully. It would be so difficult with a 10 months old at home too.
    Just take it easy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs hun. Day 3 is often hard for bubs (& tired mummas). They can do an all nighter awake and cluster feed. I agree lots of skin-skin contact. Being close to Mummy is what he wants right now. Day 3 they really start to wake up as well.
    I would ring and tell the hospy he isnt wanting the bottle so do they know a formula that is 'close' to the one they use...

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on the bub. From experience the hospitals in QLD seem to give out S26 gold newborns or karicare aptimal. From what I was told Nd have read cluster feeding is normal bit it could be the formula. Hope you get your little bundles sorted out quick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks girls. Im just really lucky dd is not interested atm in me and found her knees (crawling) lol. And shes in a good routine of day sleeps & sleeps through!! Im still a zomboe atm though.

I asked three people they said because its public hosp and they dont dont 'support' or bloody hell cant think of name lol like sponser? Anyone they dont give it out. It's called 'term'. He was on disposble bottles too and now on avent and hating them so on a bottle search tomorrow.

Atm im sleeping with the light on because obviously in neonates he was used to lights on 24/7 im not used to the baby noises.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Thanks girls. Im just really lucky dd is not interested atm in me and found her knees (crawling) lol. And shes in a good routine of day sleeps & sleeps through!! Im still a zomboe atm though.

I asked three people they said because its public hosp and they dont dont 'support' or bloody hell cant think of name lol like sponser? Anyone they dont give it out. It's called 'term'. He was on disposble bottles too and now on avent and hating them so on a bottle search tomorrow.

Atm im sleeping with the light on because obviously in neonates he was used to lights on 24/7 im not used to the baby noises.

When I had my son in May (I'm in Adelaide, not sure if it's different interstate), the hospital wouldn't recommend/endorse a formula, but they told me what formula he was being fed. I think they even let us take a couple of bottles home to last us the first day.

I hope you can find some bottles that he likes! The cheap ones in kmart etc seem to look the most similar, but I never bought any so I'm not sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you in qld OP? From my experience the disposable bottles are like the medela, I took some teats home with me and compared it with the medela ones I had and they were identical however I was in a private hospital.
    Could you try and put out a Facebook/forum search for the name of the formula, maybe some nurse might anonymously respond.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the hospital I work at here in wa we don't actually know the formula brand and aren't allowed to.

It gets made up in the infant formula room and delivered to the dept in bottles labelled BMS (breast milk substitute) and we keep them for 24 hrs before getting them replaced.

I'm so sorry you were offered so little support. I would have expected some time rooming in to get used to his patterns and some final observation before discharge.

Hopefully he settles for you soon