+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toddler tantrums when both parents together?

I can't work this out! My 21 month old is lovely and well behaved (most of the time!) when my husband or I are looking after her separately but when we are home together on sat afternoons or Sundays she spends most of the time screaming, crying or throwing tantrums. For no real apparent reason. You would think having both parents around together would make her happy. I actually dread being home during these times. She is quite a spirited child and always has been. Is she confused, overwhelmed? Any one experience this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't experienced it but my first thought is maybe she's jealous that she has to share one, or both, of you? When you're alone with her, all of your attention is on her and same with your husband. No idea how to fix it though sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks JR. Yes that makes sense! Gosh, I am due with next bub in July, so that is going to be interesting 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could have written your OP. We were both home with DS today and it was awful, there was no pleasing him. At. All. Tantrums left, right and centre. I had actually though he was getting sick but maybe there's more to it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing! DS is 27 months and is way worse behaved when dh and I are home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I second - jealousy/attention. When my daughter was about that age she would literally stand between hubby and I, pushing us apart! The good news is they grow out of it, she's almost three now and loves seeing mum & dad hanging out together, she seems to find it pretty fascinating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When jasper was a toddler he was a lot more combative and more "naughty" than tantrums, but he definitely behaved differently when we were both there vs one or the other. I do think it's for attention because one on one the focus is more on him.

Sent from my C5303 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's also a handy conception tool to keep us from providing more siblings for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. My DD is a bit over 2 and screams whenever DP and I talk to one another! Now that she's getting more articulate she can at least shout "Daddy, stop talking to mummy!", which is pretty funny, but annoying too. She's been doing it for a while now.

We have another baby due in May. That's going to be FUN.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My three year old is still behaving like this.