+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I would question if the induction is necessary, and what the risks and benefits are to baby for leaving them to choose their own birthday AND the risks and benefits of inducing birth at an early gestation, when you naturally have 40 + week pregnancies.
    Agreed.

If the gel doesn't work as bub isn't ready they'll put you on a syntocinon drip. I had the drip (as waters already broken, for a long time) and it didn't work at all.15 hrs + with no contractions and it was a c section. :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the gel put in at 40+4, 12hrs later after no progress I had the drip and waters broken. Another 12 hrs later I had not dilated or progressed whatsoever. DS was distressed so ended in csection. He wasn't ready to come.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I would question if the induction is necessary, and what the risks and benefits are to baby for leaving them to choose their own birthday AND the risks and benefits of inducing birth at an early gestation, when you naturally have 40 + week pregnancies.
    She said due to GD so I presume her Ob thinks it is necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

MyboysMylife  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 was an induction. Went in on a Monday night for gel and sent home to wait with a pain killer and sleeping pill! Mild contractions (like period pain) all night but nothing major.

Tuesday morning arrived early at hospital. Monitored for 20mins then another round of gel. Within 15mins my contractions were intense and frequent. No need for the drip thankfully.

Labour progressed quite quickly, which is good on one hand, but also meant my body didn't adjust 'naturally' so pain was high! It was all over in 4hrs though without an epi (I had one with DS1) so I was very proud of myself. I sucked on the gas like my life depended on it though.

It was intense sure, I won't lie, but overall a fine experience for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

MyboysMylife  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 3 inductions- for all of them I went in for gel the night before (although for my last I got sent home because I was already 3cm) and then waters broken the next morning.
    My labours have been long- with all 3 I didn't dilate at all for hours (even on the drip), my first I had the epi after 6 hrs, but then had another 12 hrs of labour. My 2nd I had half an hour of contractions, then had an epi and went on the drip. My 3rd I had the epi and drip as soon as my waters were broken.
    I had the epi turned off/down towards the end with all 3 so I had more control when pushing.
    My 2nd birth was great- it was virtually pain free and she came out after just 10 mins of pushing.
    The other 2, not so great!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had my bub yet but have been reading a lot so I can do my best to make informed decisions later. If the first dose of Prostin gel/Cervidil implant doesn't work, the dose can be repeated after 6 hours at double the dose. It is used to ripen the cervix only which will cause the cramping. They don't have to go straight in and break your waters and administer Syntocin. From what I've read and other people experiences, if bub isn't engaged and ready, it appears more common that it will end in intervention, whether that be episiotomy, forceps, vacuum or c-section.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced with DD. My waters broke naturally at home but labour failed to progress after that.
    I was first given the gel but after a full day of pacing the hospital, nothing happened.
    In the evening I was hooked up to the drip and things progressed quickly. Contractions came hard and fast, DD was born in around 6 hours after that.
    I have also experienced having my waters broken manually with DS- I don't recall any pain involved, just a little bit uncomfortable... but it's labour, it's not meant to be comfortable, lol..
    eta: my labour was straight forward after being induced, no complications/interventions etc, the actual pushing stage only lasted a few minutes

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have IDGD and bubs is already measuring big.

my body seems to need a bit of a nudge to get going anyway.
    I have had a 3 day labour, a really fast one where the contractions piggybacked and there was no adjusting at all, and one that was relatively fast but relaxed at the birth centre. Have only ever used gas to get through.

i would have the gel at night and have waters broken in the morning if nothing happened from that. Intervention is possible, I know but is also less likely than if this was my first.