+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another pataks fan here too - korma is my favourite, but rogan josh is good too. As someone else said, make sure you get the paste not the simmer sauce. I also add garlic and onion, sometimes ginger, as well as carrots, potato and spinach as well as chicken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sharwood's madras paste was recently half-price at my supermarket, so I bought several jars. My method for slow cooker as follows:

Fry onion and capsicum (1 each per 500g of beef). Optionally fry beef if it's a fattier cut. Throw into slow cooker with can of crushed tomato and leave for 8 hours or so. An hour before serving (around the time you are preparing rice and any veg) take lid off an put cooker on high. Optionally add another sliced capsicum.

EDT: Forgot to mention, with can of tomatoes add enough water to just cover
    Last edited by JohnC; 01-03-2014 at 16:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely, for Indian I'd recommend Pataks. I've never found another Indian paste that I like. Sharwoods in particular I think is horribly flavourless :P

Thai... I like Trident. These are a bit more difficult though, because what's easily avaiable varies hugely from state to state. Found a really nice one in Woolworths Byron Bay that I certainly can't find in Adelaide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thai I like to use Mai ploy brand. You can get tubs from Asian supermarkets or coles sell sachets of it. If you use a sachet, use half of it for 2people/1 can coconut cream.

Indian I use pataks pastes as well.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Another patak's fan. And Jamie Oliver recommends it too, so I guess it must be good.
    We love korma but am looking for any new recipes for any curries if people are willing to share!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pataks is good.

Also Ayam Thai Massaman curry paste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try making them yourself its not too hard my partner is Indian and I cook it with all the spices and there is a main body of spices that is used in all currys so you use them every time you cook.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSingh27 View Post
    Try making them yourself its not too hard my partner is Indian and I cook it with all the spices and there is a main body of spices that is used in all currys so you use them every time you cook.
    Can you give us some recipes.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 01-03-2014 at 19:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will give me some time I will put it up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree that lots are better made from scratch (especially Thai stuff), but a jar's so easy My partner does Indian curries from scratch, daal's a regular. Can't share recipes though as I don't know what he uses.

For those who mentioned Ayam pastes - where do you buy yours from? I LOVE Ayam curry powder, but haven't seen the pastes in any of our local supermarkets or Asian supermarkets.