+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    Ours seem to have gone now thanks to the bay leaves I've put all through our pantry. Amazing
    Might try bay leaves too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post

@Wally90 please let me know how you go getting rid of yours. I have never had this trouble with them before. I had them years ago and it was just a matter of tossing out any offending food and wiping down the pantry. They didn't keep on coming back. Admittedly I didn't have kids who kept on opening packets of biscuits etc just leaving them in the cupboard without putting them in a container. I think the original infestation came from an open packet of pecans that got shoved to the back of the pantry and forgotten about for a very long time.
    Will do! I'm thinking a total chuck out will be needed tomorrow too @crankyoldcow.

I set the baits late this afternoon, I just checked them then and already there are at least 25 moths trapped that I counted. I can't believe it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very timely thread, i have just spent the last hour tossing out my moth infested rice in the pantry and cleaning it out. So gross!
    I didn't throw out all the open stuff (dried noodles, grains etc) bc I thought they looked ok but reading this thread I guess I better. Will need to buy those traps and bay leaves too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got moths in my lounge room and scattered throughout the house. DF and I have been vacuuming them up but they keep reappearing.. They seem to be hanging around my bird, which leads me to believe they're eating his food.. Vacuuming them up doesn't seem to be having the desired effect, do you think the bay leaves will work in a larger area? They're driving me nuts!

He + Me, in October there'll be 3 <3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vonnie89 For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (22-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had a moth infestation I ended up having to chuck out pretty much anything that wasn't in a can. I couldn't believe they could get into sealed containers and unopened packets. It was crazy. I had to waste so much food which was so frustrating. I put it all in thick black bags and threw it all out then took everything else out of the pantry and gave it a really good clean.

I also couldn't believe how fast they can reproduce and get into stuff. We had only been in that house around 2 months and I had only noticed the moths flying around a week or so before. It was actually SO disgusting the amount if stuff they had gotten into! I had all these (sealed) containers of dried fruit and they were ALL through them with their eggs and cobwebby stuff ughhh it was so gross.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found a couple of larvae in some rice and spent hours cleaning the pantry (it had been a loonnngg time since last done) and didn't find another larvae. It was pretty disgusting just to find one. I'm going to try the bay leaves too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just bought the traps from woollies. Gee they are expensive ! 2 in a pack for $12.
    Any cheaper ones out there that work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    I found a couple of larvae in some rice and spent hours cleaning the pantry (it had been a loonnngg time since last done) and didn't find another larvae. It was pretty disgusting just to find one. I'm going to try the bay leaves too.
    Yuk don't they just loove rice! Someone mentioned sultanas and dried fruit which I hadn't even thought to check sure enough there they were! In so many unopened packets too such as cereal boxes, a tin of those chocolate straws you get at Xmas, flours,pastas! I'm sure I threw about 400 worth of groceries out. Being ruthless worked though in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post
    I've got moths in my lounge room and scattered throughout the house. DF and I have been vacuuming them up but they keep reappearing.. They seem to be hanging around my bird, which leads me to believe they're eating his food.. Vacuuming them up doesn't seem to be having the desired effect, do you think the bay leaves will work in a larger area? They're driving me nuts!

He + Me, in October there'll be 3 <3
    Ahhhh Vonnie! I have just realised they are hanging around where our bird lives too!! Maybe that is the culprit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wondering if they're coming in from bird seed