+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pantry Moths

Has anyone ever had pantry moths and the disgusting little larvae that are assosiated?

They are in everything and I don't know how to get rid of them. I opened a continent of puréed food I made and stored in the fridge for my dd and they were even in there.

How have you gotten rid of them?? They are so gross.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can get moth traps for them at supermarkets. They are little paper packets that are covered in a thick glue that you fold to form a triangle. They have a bait you attach, the moth flies in and gets stuck.

As for the pantry, I find Tupperware is the best for keeping them out of your food. And check your flours etc (and sultanas, they are notorious for being in those packets) when you pour them into your containers.

Chuck out any open packets of flour etc you have as you can bet you've got more larvae in there.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there you can go to coles and buy the traps they are very sticky and it draws the moths to it and catches them it really does work and I just washed all the wall down and now I just always leave traps in there hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Angels are around us For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Throwing out all open packets and putting the moth things in the pantry. We seem to get them around this time every year

Eta: I now use the flower things because I bought those triangle traps that are sticky and a mouse got caught in it and got a free wax when I pulled it out

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had them and the traps did nothing to fix the root of the problem. I threw out pretty much everything that was opened it in paper or cardboard packaging.
    Invested in Tupperware. (Sistema, decor etc didn't work. )
    While I was building up my Tupperware stash (Cos lets face it, it's not cheap) I put everything in the freezer for 3-4 days before storing it on the bench. The freezer will kill any larvae.
    I have not had a problem since.
    Also keep some bay leaves scattered in your pantry. They hate them!
    And wipe out regularly with vinegar or citrus essential oils.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (01-03-2014),Wally90  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had to do a full clean out of our pantry to know that all larvae were killed. Throw out anything in paper packaging, only use airtight plastic, tins or jars for storing. Remove everything, vacuum (then empty vacuum/bag) wipe down all surfaces with hot soapy water then wipe over with tea tree oil. Store flour etc in fridge when not in use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, as everyone else has said, throw out all your flour and anything else along those lines , put everything in sealed containers and then put Bay leaves all throughout your pantry, as well as in your flour containers etc, they absolutely hate Bay leaves.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (01-03-2014),Wally90  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    whats the difference between these and the little bugs that you find in your flour? they weren't larvae looking just little creamy coloured crawling insects in my flour. I threw everything open out and cleaned the whole pantry out and will get bay leaves but wanted to know if these were the same or different

Thanks
    Reviews
    - bb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverclucky View Post
    whats the difference between these and the little bugs that you find in your flour? they weren't larvae looking just little creamy coloured crawling insects in my flour. I threw everything open out and cleaned the whole pantry out and will get bay leaves but wanted to know if these were the same or different
    They turn into the moths.