+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Small areolas and painful latch?

Random question...but I'm wondering, because I have quite small areolas (much smaller than many of the women's at the breastfeeding support clinic I go to) should I be making sure all of the areola is in DS' mouth rather than the standard bottom but most of top still showing? His latch is still so painful and even when he opens as big as possible my nipple still comes out squished so it's not going far enough back and there's often a strong, painful pulling feeling (like it's going to tear) on the areola. I'm wondering if it's because I need more in his mouth, which for me would be my whole areola???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A couple websites say the whole areola should be in his mouth if you have small ones, I'm definitely going to try the next feed but why on earth would a bf counsellor at the clinic I go to not suggest this?!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can't hurt (too much more than it sounds like it already does? ) to try? Sorry I have huge areolas :/ no way in hell I could even fit half in s newborns mouth.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine can definitely fit in his mouth but all the counsellors keep having me start him below the areola so that he gets some breast and all the bottom areola in but some at the top still shows.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If your nipples are coming out flat than something isn't right, your nipple should sit at the soft palate so it shouldn't look flat. Try putting more in and see if it helps, add I said I don't think it can hurt. Also try to let bub self latch if you can or has this been an issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Self-latching is the worst (when I've tried the laid-back position) as he can't open his mouth wide enough and just grabs the nipple. He had his tongue tie snipped last week and has been having some cranial osteopath sessions to try and help with that.

When he wakes up for his next feed I'll try the whole areola and see if that helps my nipple get further back.

You'd think I'd be getting used to the pain, but after three weeks I feel like I'm going to crack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Great I was about to ask about those 2 things keep us updated amd remember if you arent happy with the support you are getting that its ok to seek it somewhere else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Knock on wood--I think it worked!! The left side was almost completely pain free, the nipple was still a little creased but I think that may be a problem until he opens bigger and maybe even grows more (bigger mouth, more experience). The right side was much more comfortable and less painful (this has been the excruciating side) and the nipple definitely came out a bit more rounded! I did more of a bulls eye latch this time I think.

I hope it's not a fluke!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So what was your trick holly?? 1 week in and I'm about to crack due to the pain.

I have big araeolas/nipples but I think my bub still has trouble opening his mouth wide enough.
    -

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nipple to bubs nose Vic Park, pull baby in by a hand on the back as they do the lunge to latch on? I found squeezing my areola as if you are about to start hand expressing can help get it in further, but only if you have enough boob to get a grip with a baby trying to get in there too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (28-03-2014),VicPark  (01-03-2014)