+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    I know the bus driver was being blocked by them when they were attacking the elderly man, but before that when they were causing a scene and being rude to other riders why didn't he do anything? I remember in my school days catching the bus none of the drivers took any trouble from anyone and kicked people off straight away.
    Because they are not allowed too . They get in trouble .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe people didn't do anything, because aggressive people are getting worse and worse and pushing it further and further, look what happened when that man intervened in a fight between a girlfriend and boyfriend in Melbourne in 2007.

I used to be an intervener no questions type of person, and as a result have been in some pretty scary situations, since people have started getting killed for intervening I'm much more cautious- I'll call the police and make it known that I am doing it - but I wouldn't approach unless I was 100% sure that they weren't complete nut jobs who would kill someone or if others were approaching at the same time - safety in numbers and all that.

It is really easy to sit back and say "why didn't people help", but we've all seen the footage - those girls are insane - and given half a chance I would't be surprised if they did kill someone one day. It is a shame they won't actually get punished for what they did - this is Australia after all, so they will probably get a good behaviour bond, when actually, they are damaged goods in terms of contributing to society - and they should be locked up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    With violence in Australia escalating more and more. Maybe it is time for a security officer on each bus and on trains. These public transport attacks are becoming more and more common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This video made me cry when I watched it, it's completely beyond me how anyone could treat anyone else like that.

Whether the the man is Aboriginal or not, it highlights that racism against indigenous people is still alive and well in Australia, which many white people refuse to acknowledge.

I find it really disturbing that no-one stepped in. Including the bus driver. I completely understand the elderly, kids, women with kids etc feeling afraid, but they were two drunk young women in a moving bus! There were men on the bus that sat and watched a defenseless old man being kicked, it makes me sick.

if I were on that bus (without my small kids), I 100% would've got up and told them to stop. If one does it, usually others follow. I've done it before and I'd do it again. It might get me in trouble one day but I can't sit back and watch that treatment of vulnerable people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, as disgusted as I am, I'm not sure if jail is really the answer (unless there is a history of violence as some are saying). Sending someone to jail after a first offense often just introduces them to more people displaying the same behaviour etc, it often makes people worse. I do think they should be required to do some serious (supervised) work with the elderly and Indigenous, apologise to the old man, and maybe be on a curfew, drug and alcohol testing etc as part of their good behavior bond?

i also think someone should got off the bus with the old man at his stop and helped him home, poor thing, it makes me so sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As hard as it is to watch people just watch on and not intervene in a situation like that, I also do not blame them as i remember seeing on the news just the other day a 70 something year old man who stepped in to break up a fight got 'coward punched' and died later in hospital. All because he stepped in and told the guys fighting to "let it go"

I think the best thing a person can do for someone being attacked, is to call 000 and and report it. The more people try to help now days, the messier it seems to get. Sad but true. I am also a person that would step in to help people generally in the past - but now since having DS, I have a lot more to protect and since recently being a victim myself and everyone just watching on and not even calling the police for me, I now understand that's just the way it is now so I also would be staying away, but i will 100% call the police without hesitation. I couldn't watch on and do absolutely nothing.

Edit: in saying all that though, if I saw a child being hurt then i don't think ill be able to stop myself from intervening with that.
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 01-03-2014 at 10:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Also, as disgusted as I am, I'm not sure if jail is really the answer (unless there is a history of violence as some are saying). Sending someone to jail after a first offense often just introduces them to more people displaying the same behaviour etc, it often makes people worse. I do think they should be required to do some serious (supervised) work with the elderly and Indigenous, apologise to the old man, and maybe be on a curfew, drug and alcohol testing etc as part of their good behavior bond?

i also think someone should got off the bus with the old man at his stop and helped him home, poor thing, it makes me so sad.
    Thankfully someone did get off the bus with him and helped him carry his fruit and veg he had won home for him apparently. The Gold Coast bulletin reported. Thank goodness, poor guy must have been so shaken up and distraught.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-03-2014)