+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting solids - high fibre & low sugar?

Ok so before I start I need to preface this with, I have been told by the paediatrician that my 3 month old daughter needs to start solids for her constipation so please don't tell me that I am an awful parent and destroying her body. So many people have made me feel awful about this but I have to remind myself this is what the doctor has told us to do! We have tried switching formulas, brown sugar, prune juice, coloxyl, you name it we have tried it! This is our last resort. So please don't tell me she is too young and I am hurting her. I already feel bad enough that I couldn't breast feed her longer and feel like this is my fault to begin with.

Sorry for the rant and now that I have said that, I am wanting to know which foods are the best for making her poo. Would prefer low in sugar, so guessing veggies would be better. Am I right? I know prunes are good, but what other veggies and fruits should I be giving her?

The paed told me to give her just enough to make her go and not to replace any feeds just use them as a natural softener. But I forgot to ask which foods I should be giving her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pear and prunes are good to stimulate the bowels. All you need is juice in the bottle or pureed for bub to eat.

Avoid rice cereal as it will block bub up more.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hadn't thought about juice. Do you think that would be better for her or it doesn't matter?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

You can get apple and pear juices in the baby section of the supermarket... also jus wondering if you have tried the formula 'novalac constipation'

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to emmiejayne For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Steam the prunes and then pour the juice into a bottle for her to drink. This was suggested to me by a pharmacist at the children's hospital. That will be most effective I would think than eating pears or apples.
    Though have you tried lactulose? Perhaps give that a shot?? I've always found solids bunged my dd up more. .. Not made it better?!?
    Don't feel bad. . is not you're fault. Lactulose is what the hospital often gives to relieve constipation in infants. When my dd was about 4 months she was hospitalized for it and this is exactly what they did. She was tiny 3.5/4kgs and it was safe for her. You can keep giving it safely until the right dose works.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-02-2014),Wally90  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tam! Will give it a shot.

Yeah we tried the novalac and it worked for a bit then clogged her up again. Thanks though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries. .. we used novalac colic ... but today we got the novalac sweet dreams to see if it helps Nikolai stay asleep at night

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emmiejayne For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried the sweet dreams one and it was awesome. We gave it to her once and she slept through the night and has done so ever since even though we had to stop it. Don't know if it was related but it was awesome!! Haha. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Highly recommend prune and pear juice 1-3 times a day to unblock and keep bowels unblocked.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    I tried the sweet dreams one and it was awesome. We gave it to her once and she slept through the night and has done so ever since even though we had to stop it. Don't know if it was related but it was awesome!! Haha. Good luck!
    Awesome!!! Nikolai slept though from 5 weeks up unitl 3 weeks ago (was 4 months last thursday( now he wakes atleast 6 times a night ... he doesn't have a bottle though

Why did you have to stop